Clutch fluid

JonM

Clutch fluid will strip paint off, so if it was leaking out of there, then it would be noticeable. Could be the slave cylinder leaking to the inside of the cutch bell housing, and if it's only slight, then you wouldn't notice it until it dripped out of the wading plug hole. Top the master cylinder back up (DOT4 brake and clutch fluid) and put the cap on square - then keep an eye on the level. If it goes down then it's likely to be the slave cylinder.

Les.

Ive got a similar problem with my 88. Ive been tracking it for about 12 months now. My cap is a daft tin one, and doesnt seat properly anyway. My solution is a new master, flexi and slave cylinder when the gearbox is changed between christmas and new year. I too have no clutch fluid at the wading hole, all the fittings are tight. I do have some strange issue where my clutch only works in the top 1" of travel despite various efforts to rectify.

What i have found, is that my flexi is occasionally damp, almost as if clutch fluid is being bled out. Has it ever been known for flexis to become porous?

hi

i haven't heard of flexi pipe going porous but it's possible, could one of the fittings that are crimped to the pipe have come loose allowing it to leak slightly?

Have you looked up above the drivers foot well to see if the master cylinder is leaking?

I think it would take a while for you to see clutch fluid dripping from the bell housing as the shape of the housing would collect it, though it would probably leak out whilst driving round corners etc.

HTH

matt

• 11 years later...
12 hours ago, dicen1983 said:

About to change the slave. How much clutch fluid do I need?

thanks in advance

Not much at all - It’s a small reservoir and a short pipe run. You’ll likely bleed more through than you leave behind. I bought a litre bottle when doing ours and would estimate have at least half a bottle remaining.

Good luck,

Simon...