V8 verus Diesel

reads90

This is a sign on the track between Ayres Rock and Kalgoorlie ( The Great Cntral Road). The Diesel wins this track over the V8's anyday :lol:

petrolsign.jpg

And the reason for this is to stop the Aborinals for sniffing petrol, as this track crosses their Land

I think something like 75% of all 4x4s sold in OZ are diesel.

Avgas/Comgas has an extremely high lead content, much higher than normal leaded. Those parts of Australia are the only places it is legal to use avgas in a road-going vehicle. In most places it is being replaced by OPAL, which has the same low aromatic content as Avgas (so doesn't produce an effect when sniffed), but has no lead, so can be used in petrol engines designed for unleaded.

It is still better to have a diesel though... :D

yeah, during WW2 the UK banged the lead content and other additives to achieve an Octane rating of about 145, the Hawker Sea Fury would only fly on that stuff or it would burn the valves out. Photo, well it's an Auz one :)

Sea%20Fury%2019840520%20l.jpg

yeah, during WW2 the UK banged the lead content and other additives to achieve an Octane rating of about 145, the Hawker Sea Fury would only fly on that stuff or it would burn the valves out. Photo, well it's an Auz one :)

Cool pic

I am pretty sure that AVGAS in OZ is only 120RON these days, and COMGAS (rebranded avgas sold in aboriginal communitoes instead of petrol, may have been lower. The new OPAL fuel is only the same octane as normal unleaded AFAIK (91RON).

Cool pic

I am pretty sure that AVGAS in OZ is only 120RON these days, and COMGAS (rebranded avgas sold in aboriginal communitoes instead of petrol, may have been lower. The new OPAL fuel is only the same octane as normal unleaded AFAIK (91RON).

yeah, pretty much 120 in the UK as well now, the Fleet Air Arm (Royal Navy Air Wing) have been having troubles with their Sea Fury running on 120, in that it would happily destroy the engine within a few flights. They're now having to fly it with a special additive mixed with the 120 and limiting the performance so that they can fly on a theoretical boosted 130ish Octane.

Dad's Cessna 172 used 100LL, not quite a Sea Fury though :)

There used to be a fairly active motocross club here and I did hear the bikes went rather well on 100LL but I think after a while somebody decided it was cheating!

Hang on a petrol will run on Diesel.......so Petrol wins :)

Since when? My uncle learnt to drive on a farm during the depression in a 1920's petrol Chev. Only diesel was available in any quantity, so they would start the engine on petrol and warm it up, then switch to diesel. It would go but smoke like hell.

Try doing that in a more modern car - I don't think so...

Ignor those who smell of "Die"sel Rob for they know not the rumble of V8 but the rattle of Diesel.... welcome to the light side (the dark side is when a Diesel is floored!)

tell me about it, up transmitter hill tonight flat out doing 25mph, gutless :lol:

got me water pump pulley back from the powder coaters, machined it so that the head of the mounting screws will be level with the spindle to give the rad a little more room when it goes in :)