grill mesh size?

02GF74

Can someone with a lightwieght and tape measure measure the size of the grille (internal wire dimension i.e. largest sized object that can go through it). For comparison, size on Series and distance between defender horizonatal slats.

... and anyone come across stories where the radiator got damaged by an object being able to pass through the grille?

Can someone with a lightwieght and tape measure measure the size of the grille (internal wire dimension i.e. largest sized object that can go through it). For comparison, size on Series and distance between defender horizonatal slats.

... and anyone come across stories where the radiator got damaged by an object being able to pass through the grille?

One of the 110s that we run on the company hire fleet had to be recovered a few years ago after a rock went through the grille (normal plastic Defender grille) and holed the radiator. I took a replacement vehicle out to the customer along with 10 gallons of water in cans, and drove it home gently with the cap on the radiator header tank loose (to prevent pressurisation blowing the coolant out) and topping up as required :)

But despite the fact most of our roads here are gravel, I think it is the only case I can recall in about 10 years so I guess it is not likely to be a common problem in places like the UK that don't have gravel roads!

High velocity rifle rounds do it every time, bluddy nuisance around here. Also other traffic (they force the wire apart and trash the rad.) People with spiky sticks tend to be a problem too. A small brick wall constructed on the front bumper is the only way to stop this sort of thing.

Les. :)