Window tint

Exmoor Beast

Right the cake van (Discovery) needs the rear windows heavily tinted to reduce solar gain and hide the stock from view.

So Professional window tinting?

Who has used who and whats it cost?

DIY?

whats the best film and where do I get it?

I have seen several websites with tips on fitting, I assume it can't be too difficult as long as you do it indoors and keep it all clean.

Will :)

Went down the DIY route with my Discovery.

Got the film from Halfords - think it was about £18.

Applying was easy, cut to the desired shape, spray soapy water on the window and apply film. The water / soap mix allows you to easily move the film around and use a squeegie to get the air bubbles out. Then just leave to dry.

Easy to obtain good results for little cash.

I suppose for £20 it doesn't matter if I make a hash of it really and have to get someone to do it properly if I do. For some reason I thought the film was more expensive...

Do I have to go the Halfords though, not sure I could bear the thought of going in and asking for window tint film, especially if I arrive in the mini...

The only problem if you stuff up a DIY job, then the tint is a bugger to remove. Personally I would get a pro to do it, it doesn't cost too much, and you should be able to get a 10 year warranty on the job. I have seen a lot of DIY jobs with cheap tint, that discolour and look terrible after a few years.

Will

Probably also available from motor spares shops, was not Halfords own make.

Found mine easy enough to remove when I sold it, and for £20 does it really matter if you need to redo it in a few years?

Not a bad price :)

Thanks, looks like an excuse to visit some of Lucys dodgey biker mates down that way :)

nothing dodgy about us bikers down here, we love cuddly rudderly wabbits and gentle strolls in the park ;)

i use sheets of vinyl stripes made for me by custom vinyl........ basicaly 2mm strip,2mm gap, 2mm strip....etc etc.

can get in loads of colours, cheap and easy to put on because air dosnt get trapped...... did the defender in silver and the disco is nhaving black this weekend.

windows.jpg

www.customvinyl.co.uk ..... have a word with Lee.

very pleased with them until i sold them on.......the 90 is slowly being down graded so that the Disco can be brought up to sctratch.... which is running on BFG muds now.... a cost thing.

problem is the better half dosnt want me to sell the 90...oh well.