Overland trailer

• 3 weeks later...

How much did you reckon your trailer was worth Jason? I reckon yours is better than this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290740788598 that they are asking £7750 for. I can't see their wine rack lasting up to overlanding! :P

Barry,

Did you see that they finally sold that trailer? it went for £2,900 in the end, I guess that's the market price for them. although didn't seem a lot for all the bits on it.

Jason.

Jason,

I bet he wasn't happy with that price! Doesn't sound like it would cover the cost of building it. I guess it's a very small market and if you are going to spend the sort of money he was after you would either build it yourself or comission someone to build you one to your exact requirements. I suppose it sold for the right price as it looks like it will need a number of alterations before any serious use. These things are hard to value for sale, easier to value for insurance as you can calculate rebuild costs for that.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I built a one-man caravan cum load carrier last year using a 110 roof for the roof and wood and palstic sheeting for the sides. I built an elevating system out of two builders trestles attached to the front and rear so I can lift the roof from driving height to standing height. (I am 1.8 metres tall so the roof is at least that high when lifted)

There is a porta poti and butane powered cooker and heater run from disposable canisters, with water and power from a car battery and inverter with solar charger on board.

Having used it for a year, I am now designing a replacement module made from two cut up brownchurch roofracks, one forming the base and one attached to the roof inverted so I dont have to fabricate a frame, just weld up bracing beams between them.

I initially inverted the tow ring and damper to drop the height of the trailer hitch and put on 14 inch Land rover pattern wheels to level it out. I toyed with the idea of extending the A-Frame to reduce jack-knifing, but eventually built an extension beam from square profile stainless tubing and bolted it on to the A-Frame. Cut outs allowed the damper assembly to be put on the end of the extension bar inverted so the trailer rides level and balanced.

I took off the military swing down jockey wheel mount to reduce weight, and replaced it with a standard jockey wheel mount bracket.

I have a 25 litre water tank and 25 litre fuel tank strapped to side steps at the rear and the spare wheel mount is bolted to the centre of the side panel over the wheel to maintain balance.

I can move the trailer on a flat track alone and the military pintle I bought from Ebay for £30 is the dogs whatsit.

I have a leather sofa and a pop up ambulance trolley for a bed inside so it functions like a caravan, and 12volt lighting inside and out so it is a good base for isolated pitches. I have installed a carbon monoxide alarm for when I use the cooker and heater inside, although the fans and vents I built in to the floor and roof reduce the risk of build-up in use.

All together the whole trailer cost £300 including the purchase of the trailer chassis from Witham, the MOD sales people. I bought it without the tub because I would have had to remove it anyway.

Having used it for a year for metal detecting rallies and holidays in snowdonia national park, it is time for a revamp and airodynamic styling to cut down on fuel costs when towing.

Good luck with your trailer, it looks like a proper job.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with your trailer, it looks like a proper job.

Eric

Thanks Eric,

It sounds like you have a fairly compressive set-up yourself, do you have any photos of you trailer?

Jason.

Only got one photo of the side of the trailer before I put on the mounting brackets for the water and fuel cans that I can get at for now. It shows the tow bar extension and the roof and roof rack though.

I will try to get some more photos of it on here.

Eric

post-43074-0-76652500-1352789300_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...