Overland trailer

Hi Jason, i have made several trailers in the past and i agree with most of your build so far, a couple of things i would like you to consider would be a decent hitch with a lock built in, (i have a 2500kg one floating about if your interested) also i prefer the electrics from vehicle to trailer to be on a seperate cable, i used tractor unit lorry coiled suzi cable conected to plastic female conectors as the metal ones corrode quite badly, also the removal of the suzi when parked also acts as a theft deterant as the trailer will have no lights when cable removed.

Thanks for the feedback Kevin,

The trailer chassis currently has a NATO hitch on it, as I will mainly be using the trailer off road I liked the movement and rotation that this + NATO hitch gives in theroy it could even turn over without turning the towing vehicle over! But thanks for the suggestion and offer of the hitch.

I am glad I didn't go off on a tangent with the cable idea I had though making it curly so will think I will go with that idea I did not think of a truck cable I was going to use the NATO one on the trailer and put civi plugs on it. As for the plugs I thought the metal ones would be tougher and I was going to paint them, I didn't realise they would corrode, I will use the plastic ones then, thanks for the advice.

Update, just brought one of these!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Heavy-Duty-Susi-Suzi-Coiled-7-Pin-Plug-Trailer-Cable_W0QQitemZ290410606397QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439dd22f3d

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know what they were called

So I have left the cleaning and paint removal phase and am now in the “painting phase” black and red, I really like the redness (creative moment) of the Hammerite red so have painted any bit that needs attention i.e. jockey wheel and legs need to be up when towing.

The trailer needs turning the right way up for the last time and having its final coat hopefully. It’s now had three coats of black on, but there are still some bits where the red oxide is still showing, thin even coats is the trick to these things or so I have been told so slow and steady......

The photo of the bits is where I have started to paint them, I have left the plates on the tow bar so they are currently covered with masking tape hence the white bits on the photos, I will hopefully have the trailer rebuilt by early next week, the build starts on Friday, and I was hoping to have it done by then but work has prevented that, I now have a new job again, which is an excuse for people to dump stuff on me which they could not be bothered to do, which is really getting in the way of the build, but I need the job to fill this money pit of a project......

post-15513-126886336236_thumb.jpg

post-15513-126886337415_thumb.jpg

So just come back from indoor 4x4 show, and have decided that the route I am going down is the correct one for me. I looked at a couple of trailers one from Myways which is a Sankey based unit a really good unit but.... its just a trailer no pull out kitchen just a very well built box on wheels with a slide out for the fridge and the water and bits built in but not an integrated travel/camping unit, although there were a couple of bits on it that have confirmed my design.

The other one I looked at was a trailer tent unit, however again I don’t think it gave the quick outward bound trailer I am looking for.

I had hoped that bolt on bits would be there but as they were not I did not come away with the LED marker lights I had hoped to get so I guess its e-bay and paying the postage for that, but I did get the 2 x rubbolite small junction boxes for £3 each bargin!!!!

Everything is now painted so re assembly starts this week, it was actually nice to have the day off today!!

so hopefully I will have a fully rolling (Finished) chassis by next weekend and will then wait for the body and chequer plate to be finished.

then fixing and painting and then onto the inside and fitout.

Jason.

Hi Jason,

Like the idea of just hooking up a trailer and going ........... so two years ago I built this.

4002104188_a0653692a7_m.jpg

p><p>it

I have added the slide-out and the chequer plate.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/2828037704_bbfe1765c2_m.jpg' alt='2828037704_bbfe1765c2_m.jpg'>

the other side has a full pull-out kitchen with bar.

4001892846_88e5155daa_m.jpg

4001131405_6563030b33_m.jpg

the inside allows for the raised bed to be in the slide-out section.

I hope this inspires others out there to have a go ;-)

Hi FreebieFreddy,

Some neat ideas there around the locker doors, I also like the slide outs if I was going to live in mine I was going to go down that route, Guess you don't take the trailer off road or if you do is the ground clearance a problem? What have you done for power/water? I am just at that phase now (see next post), I have decided to wait until I get the body back before I finalise the inside design just to check that it will work and the height of the kitchen etc will be ok for Mrs S.

Cheers, Jason.

So it's not been a very busy week build wise I have kind of given myself the week off, as got really fed up with it all last week, everything is painted now so just needs putting back together which should only take a few hours..... .

I have been planning the inside this week I already have a lot of bits pump and electrical unit etc so I have been planning where it will all go, I have decided the following but any input would be welcome.

Power:

· 2 x 110amp leisure batteries.

o 1 for Fridge etc

o 1 for Microwave and Lights

· Caravan 240v hook up with charger and splitter 12v feed.

· 12s charger from the Land Rover

· Boat power panel to switch everything

· 12V din outlets

· 240 inverted outlet/normal on hook up/generator

· USB outlet

· 12V waterproof outlet in the roof to provide power to the tent

Water:

· 75 litre on board tank with filler. (Plus 2 x 20L Jerry cans external)

· 12v water pump.

· Propane hot water heater.

· Hot water plumbed into rear external outlet for shower and front outside for snap on hose from cold water for washing the car down and filling from a tap.

· 40L waste water tank, that will take the water externally.

Gas:

· Propane for Water heater/gas cooker

· External socket for gas BBQ

I think this about covers it, I have found some LED strip lights from eBay that should be good to provide light to the inside on the trailer with minimum consumption.

post-15513-126943830565_thumb.jpg

So the spending continues...... I thought I should order the door furniture this afternoon ordered from Stedall who seem to sell everything you would ever need in this field and are happy to deal with the indivdual as well as trade customers.

I ordered 3 of the door locks and 6 hinges including postage and VAT didn't get change out of £100 hopefully the spending will end soon before funds run out.....

post-15513-126944536271_thumb.jpg

Electrical done today, as described before 2 battries one to run the fridge etc and one for the microwave & Inverter. Not being an expert on 12/240 volt split wiring have I done anything wrong? Could I make the 240 supply and the inverter supply the same socket without having the risk of blowing myself up with 480V....

Regards, Jason.

post-15513-126952091987_thumb.jpg

Jason, Just out of curiosity more than anything else have you by any chance thought about using a solar charger for keeping the batteries topped up when in use when you're static? I use one when I leave my 90 for reasonably long periods without running it and it seems to keep it all ship shape so to speak

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99760

That's the one I use for keeping my battery topped up

John

Jason, Just out of curiosity more than anything else have you by any chance thought about using a solar charger for keeping the batteries topped up when in use when you're static? I use one when I leave my 90 for reasonably long periods without running it and it seems to keep it all ship shape so to speak

http://www.maplin.co...?ModuleNo=99760

That's the one I use for keeping my battery topped up

John

Hi John,

Yes I have considered adding a solar pannel to the "money pit" I also thought about a small wind turbine I don't have any experience of either so was going to do some research first I also wanted to get the thing built to see the best place to mount them, I have a trip in Morocco planned this year so thing a solar pannel would be just the job.

Cheers, Jason.

I saw this on one of the Overland Expo videos

Skip the first part and start watching at 2 mins and 5 secs. Great if you like comfort and have the money! They will ship to the UK too smile.gif

They make some smart trailers, I looked at them when trying to decide if to import or buy, and have taken some ideas from them. I did also look at the tear drop idea built onto a sankey of course, however I didn't want a caravan so it wasn't for me. I don't know what it is, but I like sleeping under canvas espicialy in the roof tent when you can open it up just leaving the fly screens like sleeping outside. guess its just me.

Cheers for the link though. Jason.

They make some smart trailers, I looked at them when trying to decide if to import or buy, and have taken some ideas from them. I did also look at the tear drop idea built onto a sankey of course, however I didn't want a caravan so it wasn't for me. I don't know what it is, but I like sleeping under canvas espicialy in the roof tent when you can open it up just leaving the fly screens like sleeping outside. guess its just me.

Cheers for the link though. Jason.

Hi Jason,

I know what you mean, but just so you are aware the same company do sell off road trailers with roof tents.

The first one is called the Chaser http://www.adventuretrailers.com/chaser.html and the second is called the Horizon http://www.adventuretrailers.com/horizon.html

I have no connection with this company :) I was pricing them up some time ago when interested myself and heard that the build quality from this company is very good. Just thought the links may be useful to someone :)

Cheers, Paul

Yea, started the money pit again today I started to put bits back on was just going to do an hours work but spent the day on it, Springs were fairly difficult to get back on but a ratchet strap helped the new bushes were tight. Axel and shocks on rebuilt the hubs wheels and spacers on they are looking good I was worried it was a bit high but then I remembered there was no weight on the trailer, the red bits need a second coat and one of the legs locking pin is really stiff but I will address this later.

I was really happy how the hubs looked, I cut the lifting ring off the hub and flatted it back with a flap disk it came out really well, and the cheap spacers fit with room to spare around the hub so it all worked out well.

The anti roll bar system and the braking system need to be attached new callipers added and flexible brake hoses added then the whole thing will be ready for the body.

I have been planning the inside so am looking forward to getting it finished now, on the downhill straight now, or at least I feel I am.....

Jason.

post-15513-127006924763_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127006927286_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127006928952_thumb.jpg

So still waiting for the body to come back, it seems I made a mistake with the amount of Ali I needed I was two lengths short on my calculations, so my fault really, it has however allowed me to rebuild the trailer just need to put the brakes and anti roll bar back on and will be done......biggrin.gif

As its raining I have turned my attention back to the inside, I am pretty sure how I will build the box and had the advantage that the sink/cooker unit I brought was in a unit, (poorly constructed) but it let me play around with the best construction methods for 9mm ply.

The electrical thing was still bothering me (240v switching eairler post) I only wanted one socket but could not work out how to switch the power from inverter to mains without any risk of blowing myself up if I forgot to do it.

The answer came in when looking at water gauges the same company did a switch to go from Shore power to inverter just the job, so has now been included in the electrical diagram and is on order.

I found some LED strip lights that are also just the job (See “Let there be light” thread) so have ordered some for the trailer, I took a look at them last night and must say the light they give off is fantastic, I may look and integrating some into the outside of the trailer for outside light but will wait to see if they are needed.

Jason.

post-15513-127020439122_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127020440395_thumb.jpg

Thanks Martin, how are you getting on with yours?

I've nearly finished the de-rusting and painting of it. Electrics are nearly finished.

I'm just getting it weather sealed/coneverted at the moment, so I can use it. It looks like it might be getting used as a work-horse for now as I haven't had any work so can't afford the camper conversion.

I helped a friend take down his shed last week, the floor from which is now in my trailer :D I love free stuff, especially when it fits!

I've decided to remove all of my original tow bar and get it modified to a square receiver and nato plate all in one. That should suit my needs (more clearance off-road, but still the option to tow a ball hitch). Just need to get the receiver and head off to the industrial estate.

I hope it'll earn me some money until something permanent comes up <_<

Like the switch you found, just the job. Have a search for "Plug-in-Systems", they manufacture all sorts of switch gear, meters, charges etc for caravans and motorhomes. They do one complete panel with fuses, meter, switches etc, all ready to wire up.

Electrics are nearly finished.

I've decided to remove all of my original tow bar and get it modified to a square receiver and nato plate all in one. That should suit my needs (more clearance off-road, but still the option to tow a ball hitch). Just need to get the receiver and head off to the industrial estate.

Like the switch you found, just the job. Have a search for "Plug-in-Systems", they manufacture all sorts of switch gear, meters, charges etc for caravans and motorhomes. They do one complete panel with fuses, meter, switches etc, all ready to wire up.

Hi Martin,

What electrics have you gone for have you kept the standard lights or gone LED?

I have a 2" receiver hitch works really well I have two receivers 1 for the Nato hitch which is inverted so sits at the correct height for the sankey and also has the advantage that it sticks out a bit further from the x-member so helps towing it. the second hitch I have has the dixon bate drop hitch bolted to it so that I can adjust it and tow normal trailers works really well, I also brought a couple of receiver hitch locks last time I was in the US they are the standard locking pin, with a padlock type attachment on the type keeps the hitch where you left it....

will have a search for plug in systems, I did look at caravan switching systems however wanted to avoid any complex switching systems leaving less to go wrong.

Cheers, Jason.

So I am at a bit of a loss at the moment, I have all of the bits but can’t move forward!!!! I am still waiting for the body back and until then don’t want to start to build the inside just in case the measurements are out for some reason!!! I can’t finish the brakes on the trailer as am waiting for the new hoses so project is almost at a standstill and I have had to spend the bank holiday with the family!!!!

I have designed the inside to death on the computer and have reduced the amount of Ply I need whilst retaining the same strength looked at the most efficient ways of cutting the wood from the sheets and have gone about as far as I could go, so I built a model of the inside to enable me to just check it for any design flaws.

Not contempt with that I decided that I would mock up the way the storage boxes would stack up to check my theory that I didn’t need shelf’s, also that the 9mm ply was up to the job I had some old off cuts so did a full size mock up. I was correct the rail system worked a treat and it has actually taught me a couple of things about the construction and helped me eliminate a possible issue before they came around.

I hadn’t allowed for the door seals when designing the storage which could have made things difficult especially with the slide out kitchen I have resolved this now again without wasting materials so fairly happy with the day’s work.

post-15513-127049465656_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127049466642_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127049467697_thumb.jpg

Wow...I decided that my trailer WAS the mock up :D:D It looks great though, bet you can't wait to get the body back!

Mine came with "Rubbolite" lights, so I've replaced the damaged ones and stuck with those. I'm not a fan of LED lights personally, and sticking with what is already there kept costs down.

I work the opposite to you :ph34r: When I did a camper van I bought the bits (porta loo, cooler, etc.) I used marker pen to draw on the floor and panels etc. I spent many nights with sheets of card taped together deciding if there was enough room for moving/sleeping etc. :lol: I sort of build things as I go along, so everything gets strapped down, or I use jerry cans in place of fixed tanks etc, until we decide just how we want it. The Disco still has plastic tool boxes and gas bottle etc strapped in because I'm not 100% sure if that's where I want them to stay or if I want them to be permanent...despite the fact they've been there for a year :lol:

I think your way might be best :unsure:

Keep the updates coming :)

PS - FINALLY finished painting the underside today so I can waxoyl it and get the wiring back in place - at least then it will be useable if needed.

So still now news on the body, I haven't wanted to chase them but will put a call in in the morning, I have been collecting the final bits today, More Money!!!! I have just brought the door seals, found a really good supplier that is cheap (well a lot cheaper than others!!) http://www.thamesvalleysupplies.co.uk/index.php I know what wood I need but as before am waiting until I get the frame back. I sorted out the plumbing today so am ready to go....

Work is fairly quiet at the moment so if the frame comes back next week I may take the week off and push on...

So just spoken with the chap building the box, it's done and he is just cutting and bending the sheet it will be ready on Tuesday afternoon!!!!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The door seal has arrived

Edging trim has arrived

Figured out the gas and electrical systems

Figured out the shelfing and layout

brought the paint

So booking some time off next week, still hope to finish for camping at Gaydon for the HLR show!!!! so nose to the grind stone, all down hill from here.

Jason.

We need photos!

:D

I'm buying a welding set tomorrow, loads of little jobs I just want doing. After that I suspect the trailer may start getting some extras :P

I've seen an Oz-tent on top of a trailer and like that idea, especially if it's removable so it could be used elsewhere...I can't find any pics of fitting it though (it appears to be left in place but folded down and covered when not in use).

Or we may just sell the trailer and buy an oztent :ph34r:

If I had something to take a photo of I would!!!! I will take the camera with me on Tuesday, can't wait can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.......