if you could buy the perfect roof rack...?

freeagent

right. its dissertation writing time and i could do with some feedback/ answers to a couple of questions...

do you own a roofrack?

do you use it for work, leisure or both?

are you happy with it, or is it a compromise, because what you wanted wasn't available?

if a modular roofrack system was available, allowing you to buy separate parts to build, then rebuild the rack to suit your requirements would you be interested?

many thanks for your time. :)

this forum is getting a mention in my dissertation as i've got loads of usefull stuff from it, i might bother you all with a bit more soon :rolleyes:

thanks again

m@tt :D:D

do you own a roofrack?

Yes

Both

are you happy with it, or is it a compromise, because what you wanted wasn't available?

Everything is a compromise, but the main compromise is that if you want something that is built like a brick ****house (and no sense in having anything else with our roads) you are carting a lot of weight around when you aren't using it, which is for a lot of the time, and it is draggy and noisy at speed. Otherwise it is fine, if you want the space and the strength then you need to live with the consequences

if a modular roofrack system was available, allowing you to buy separate parts to build, then rebuild the rack to suit your requirements would you be interested?

I might be, but I suspect something that would easily bolt together would also easily fall apart if battered on lousy roads for a year or two!

do you own a roofrack?

Yup

leisure

Happy with it. It's a brownchurch jobby that comes standard on the Camel 110's. But it needed some modification when the roof tent was fitted as it has sticky uppy bits rouind the outside. I've now chopped it and made one section of the side fold-down-able so that the roof tent can sit as low as possible. B)

Maybe, but without being too "anal" about the whole camel thing, would probably stick with a brownchurch as that is what it's supposed to have. If I didn't have the Camel and I needed a roof rack, then a build it yourself job may well be a good option, but I'd want to to have the extra support brackets so that not all the weight was on the gutters.

Hope this helps

Dan :D

Yes I own a roofrack.

Well I'm not in business but it gets used for all sorts.

Yes I'm happy with it except for one thing.

The rack was made to my design.The front and rear rails are removable.It is only short.Just large enought to carry four 10liter jerry cans and the table and chairs.

I also had a single ladder rack made to compliment the front rack.Unfortunately when I wanted a second ladder bar to fit the top box to the builder had shut the company!!!

Mine is boarded with plywood.That way things don't slide or fret.

I could be interested in a modular systen but it would have to suit my needs.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

thanks guys, i'm not about to start punting a modular roof rack on here, its just a 'paper excercise' as it'd cost a fortune to put into production as it would require mold tools to be made... :(

thanks again guys. :D

i'll post some piccys of my design when i've finished the CAD stuff. :)

thanks guys, i'm not about to start punting a modular roof rack on here, its just a 'paper excercise' as it'd cost a fortune to put into production as it would require mold tools to be made... :(

thanks again guys. :D

i'll post some piccys of my design when i've finished the CAD stuff. :)

Two things to think about...... :o

Have a look at the Frontrunner rack.

www.frontrunner.co.za

I also thought about using "cargo rail" for the cross bars.That way you can pick up anywhere for the straps.

HTH

front runner was one of the first i looked at, clever system, i like the way you can slide the connectors in... but you are still stuck with the huge 'bedspead' arangement covering the whole roof... and i thought some of the welding and fabrication was a bit iffy considering the price... (the cutouts in the extruded sections looked like theyed been chewed out) <_<

am looking at an ally profile very similar to this

http://catalog.item-international.com/Onli....jsp?sprache=EN

if the link works.... :rolleyes:

unlimited connection and restyling options, and you could buy the stuff as individual lengths, and add to your roof rack as and when you want... B)

combined with injection moulded composite 'legs' it could be a winner. :)

Guest diesel_jim

do you own a roofrack?

Yessir

Both, when it's fitted, currently led against my garage!

happy with it (cheapy paddocks bearmach 3/4" box section jobby. poor man's brownchurch type, although very similar)

Probably not. i like that fact that mine only cost £100, and i plan to go to my local steel stockholders, buy some more 3/4" box and weld in some jerrycan mounts at the back, a la camel, some spotlight mounts at the front and an axe mount & hi-lift mount at the back and get the whole shebang powder coated. job done.

After my last 2 110s having brownchurch racks which I thought were excellent.

My current 110 does`nt have one yet, I do miss the space up top, but not having all the extra weight up top and the extra windresistance is a huge bonus. (and being able to park in underground car parks)

So after a lot of thought, I have considered thule bars to mount our roof tent, to keep weight to a min and also be easy to removed when I don`t need em.

My other thought which I`ll probably go for is a Hanibal, as they seem to cater for everything, a removable top rail, which is a real bonus for us with roof tents, they also have full length gutter supports which is a great idea. I am also probably going to fit a 90 rack to our 110 to keep the weight down a bit more and to reduce the extra wind resisance between the rack and the sloped bit of roof at the front.

The other rack which I would have seriously looked at is the ARB tradesman rack, if they made these in alloy I would buy one but in steel the weight in at 65kgs.

So after saying all this carp a modular rack in alloy, with removable side`s, flat top, and maybe in a 90s lenght with additional removable section for the front of a 110 would be a good idea. With the price of fuel now days a more efficient rack is a very good idea.

front runner was one of the first i looked at, clever system, i like the way you can slide the connectors in... but you are still stuck with the huge 'bedspead' arangement covering the whole roof... and i thought some of the welding and fabrication was a bit iffy considering the price... (the cutouts in the extruded sections looked like theyed been chewed out) <_<

am looking at an ally profile very similar to this

http://catalog.item-international.com/Onli....jsp?sprache=EN

if the link works.... :rolleyes:

unlimited connection and restyling options, and you could buy the stuff as individual lengths, and add to your roof rack as and when you want... B)

combined with injection moulded composite 'legs' it could be a winner. :)

Yep that's the sort of thing that should be good.

Remember really you need to be able to lay the rack on the floor and lift one corner.The other corners should not lift.You need a lot of flex otherwise the seam in the roof above the driver/passengers head will open up.

Also remember the ALL up weight on the roof must not exceed 75kg on a UK Land Rover.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!