Buying a 90

I am now in the position of starting to look seriously for a 90. :i-m_so_happy:

I with the information I have absorbed on here and other forums I feel I would be able to sort the good ones from the dud ones; But having an experienced Land Rover person would be such a help in making sure I don't end up with a lemon! and help reassuring Mom and Dad that I havent bought a lemon!

Who would be willing to give me a hand?

Starting off, anyone know this 90: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1306082.htm :wub: in my eyes the perfect 90!

:P PS: how does this sort of thing work normally? :unsure:

I am now in the position of starting to look seriously for a 90. :i-m_so_happy:

Starting off, anyone know this 90: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1306082.htm :wub: in my eyes the perfect 90!

:P PS: how does this sort of thing work normally? :unsure:

Definitely take someone along who knows what they are looking for. Bodywork is fairly easy but there can be some hideous bodges on mechanicals. As a buyer sometimes the rose tinted goggles come on.

I once found a bashed chassis repaired with filler, my mate who was buying was just about part with the cash because the paint was shiney and it had nice wheels.

As for the one in the link, it looks nice, you would need to check the conversion very carefully and then be totally sure that you wanted a non-standard motor (insurance, mpg, spares etc)

Ross

engine aside the real killer will be rust

bulkhead/chassis

try and look out for a Galv'd chassis rebuild

if it takes longer you'll have more ££ saved.

Anything within 50miles I'll offer to look at with you.

Buying a car is always best to have someone with experience with you

TJ101 looked over a car we purchased he saw every tiny thing knowing what to look for.

Bottom line there are literally loads out there take you time or repent at leisure.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Defender-90-Hard-Top-tdi-1995-White-grey-vinyl-trim_W0QQitemZ120493167008QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item1c0df3d1a0

This is more the sort of thing you need to start with I would humbly suggest , as the one you referred to could well develope into an unpleasant experience fairly quickly on many levels

but at the end of the day you pays your money and makes your choice :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Defender-90-Hard-Top-tdi-1995-White-grey-vinyl-trim_W0QQitemZ120493167008QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item1c0df3d1a0

This is more the sort of thing you need to start with I would humbly suggest , as the one you referred to could well develope into an unpleasant experience fairly quickly on many levels

but at the end of the day you pays your money and makes your choice :)

you meaning about insurance? or the conversion?

Indeed. As a first purchase I would personally recommend a good 200 or 300 Tdi, you should get a bit more for your money and they're cheaper to run. However, if a V8 is what you have your heart set on then there is nothing any of us can say to stop you :P

From my calculations (being sensible) it is only a few quid more per month in fuel with the V8 (LPG).

[Tart hat firmly on] 300/200 don't sound anywhere near as nice as a V8... or a TD5 [/Tart Hat firmly on] :P

V8 is what my heart is on... auto preferably too... :ph34r:

Td5 would be my second choice.

you meaning about insurance? or the conversion?

From my calculations (being sensible) it is only a few quid more per month in fuel with the V8 (LPG).

[Tart hat firmly on] 300/200 don't sound anywhere near as nice as a V8... or a TD5 [/Tart Hat firmly on] :P

V8 is what my heart is on... auto preferably too... :ph34r:

Td5 would be my second choice.

With the fuels costing near-as-makes-no-difference the same amount per gallon...I'd have to make a V8 do 30mpg to match my 200Tdi on fuel costs. Is that doable with LPG?

And you've come upon another important issue there too, anything that has been modified be absolutely sure everyone knows. DVLA, insurance etc. If it's had mods done that would require SVA/IVA then make sure it's had one.

Ross, I may be able to come and have a look at a car with you particularly if it is nearish London and during the week.

Also, don't let the doubters worry you about insurance - I'm not that old and my 'every day' car is a modified Lotus Elise. If you have a cleanish licence, haven't had any serious prangs and are prepared to shop about you can get some fairly good deals.