Buying a 90

Don't buy a 2.5 N/a they are crud you'll hate it and waste more ££ fitting a TDI

a 200-300tdi is a good buy.

a mate is selling his 200TDI J plate with 8274/ARB M/Ts OME suspension/snorkel and in good order he is in the Police Force and located near Bodmin.

Hi

I have been looking for a while,looked at lots on Ebay/autotrader and all the local press mags etc.

I looked and nearly bought 3,but held my nerve for the right one. Anyway it paid of waiting and looking,have just bought a mint 1997 defender csw

rebuilt everything great body work and good inside for £5000 much much better than a £9000 I nearly bought.

So the conclusion is take your time ,all good things come to thoughs who wait.

Don't buy a 2.5 N/a they are crud you'll hate it and waste more ££ fitting a TDI

a 200-300tdi is a good buy.

a mate is selling his 200TDI J plate with 8274/ARB M/Ts OME suspension/snorkel and in good order he is in the Police Force and located near Bodmin.

That was my thoughts... I would end up changing it to a tdi sometime in the future, so why go to the expense of buying one that I will end up changing when i can buy one already with a tdi.

Do you have any pictures tony? thanks :) is that ARB bumper or lockers?

ARB 24 spline rear locker

I'll look for some pics tonight.

Devon4x4 tubular 8274 bumper, diff guards etc

I guess he could remove stuff to suit your budget.

If you pm me your contact number I can forward it to Jay then he can tell you all about it

it is a very nice example.

That was my thoughts... I would end up changing it to a tdi sometime in the future, so why go to the expense of buying one that I will end up changing when i can buy one already with a tdi.

At one point doing it that way could have worked out cheaper when it comes to moneys. You just paid for it in time instead. Although I think it was better with the TD > TDi conversion, as I believe the NA had a diff ratio transfer box?

Hey,

Id seriously just go with a tdi (either) and go from there. The prices in your sheet look a wee bit optimistic as well as you have to remember that all costs could and probabily will change to a certain extent over the next while. Id love a v8 in mine but as LPG isnt available easily here and to get a decent range in my 90, id need lots of tanks, I keep putting off pulling out the TDI for it. I find a 90 tank too small even!

That 1995 90 looked nice (the 300tdi one) and id try and find something like that.

There arnt that many good N/As or TDs left now, but if a very origionalor good one came along Id look at that too. You could easily put a TDI in when it blew up.

The best thing is probabily to go out and look at as many as possible but I dont know how easy that is for you.

H

My 90 was a 2.25 petrol when i got it and i defintley had the rose tinted specs on when i bought. Needed work to the A-frame x-member, new rear cross member and a new fuel tank. Also came with a bikini roof only.

On the plus side it was pretty straight bodywork wise and had not been molested at all (its a B-reg) the engine ran smoothly and reliably, and the transmission was all spot on with a nice shift and no clunks (well, almost no clunks- its a land-rover after all :) )

I did all the work needed, got it running better than before (18mpg on motorway) and drove it like this for 18months. In the end i got fed up with having to dice with death everytime i wanted to merge onto a motorway. This would usually be when the person in front toodled along at 40mph and then booted it at the last minute up to 70mph- ruining my required run-up. :angry:

In this time I converted to LPG (i have a few local stations) and ran it a while more, using the money i saved towards rebuilding a 3.5 that i had been given for free.

The v8 has been in for a year now and i have averaged 15mpg on LPG over 12,720 miles. With the price difference between fuels thats equivalent to around 30mpg on petrol :)

(Famous last words) but not sure why people say the v8's are unreliable, mine has been as solid as a rock for over a year now. All it asks for is regular oil changes and checks on the coolant now and then. 65 miles a day, 5 days a week.

I have however in this time had a clutch master cylinder, steering box and gearbox go (a second hand one that i picked up and then turned out it had water inside- i didnt realise this until i had had the thing sat for a year in the garage. Top tip- when you buy anything always drain the fluid, or at least check so that you know what is inside)

To get to the point- just buy one in as good a condition mechanically as possible. Get a sound base and go from there. Its a land-rover, you can always make it into whatever you want later, as time and money allows.

:D:D:D

Ross i would by the best standard/unmolested one you can afford. Buying a rebuilt one on a galv chassis is all well and good but if Mr I.N.Competent has built it your gonna spend a helluva long time repairing it.

For me personaly the 300/td5s were the best overall motors (blade fuses, disc brakes, better boxs etc etc) i realise your budget is slightly lacking for a td5 but i reckon a 300 is within it.

Those insurance quotes look reasonable (i'm 19 i feel your pain :lol: )although if you have a years no claims i would feel they should be under 1500 f/c.

I always think a good indication of a vehicles life can be had from the brand of the engines filters, whether or not you see any shbritpart stickers and by pulling the radio out and seeing how many scotchlocs you going to have to replace with proper wiringfind.

Will

The one White90 pointed me in the direction of is about the most modified i would buy, I dont want to jump in with all the toys right away!

found another nice one this morning: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-N-LAND-ROVER-90-DEFENDER-COUNTY-2-5-300-TDI-WHITE_W0QQitemZ300372975423QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item45ef9fdf3f#ht_768wt_1165

Miles away though...