LT230 for Borg Warner TF Box ?

zim

Sorry for all the recent questions, i'm half way through a swap as you can tell !

So... on the back of my zf auto is a borg warner transfer box.

Now i wish to swap this for my LT230. Which i'm assuming will be the same bolt pattern ?? So should go on without a problem ? Am i correct ? I realise the lever will need a bracket to mount.

Looking at the electric side of things, the BW has an Oil Temp switch (C371) on the back of the box, up against the handbrake drum. The LT230 doesn't. I haven't looked yet on my lt230, but i don't recall it having somewhere for one ? But i'm sure i can find somewhere to put it, unless others have any tips / ideas ?

What i didn't find on the BW was a hi / low switch. Do they not have one ? If not, i'll come up with my own wiring so i have a pretty little light on the dash :)

Thanks

Gordon

There should be a plug in a tapped hole on the left side of the LT230 - this is where the temp switch goes when fitted.

None of my LT230's have had a hi/low switch, but I recall seeing a pic, in the last few days, of one with what could only have been one. Perhaps the last of rangies before the change to BW, or maybe USA/Japanese markets, had them.

You'll need a new front prop (the BW has a different nose length) and also a different output shaft on the ZF. The output shaft that goes into the BW transfer box only has splines along around half of it's length. The LT230 needs them full length. Not a big problem as the output shaft just bolts on so not a problem to change them.

There is also an adaptor bracket that bolts to the top of the ZF to take the LT230 high-low-diff shifter mechanism although you can probably make something up it's a lot easier if you can get the actual bracket (around £60 IIRC). The Disco II cable shift is easier to fit but more expensive.

Neither the LT230 or the BW have a Hi-Lo switch, I can't think of any Land Rover that did other than the fully electronic ones on the later Rangie etc...

You'll need a new front prop (the BW has a different nose length) and also a different output shaft on the ZF. The output shaft that goes into the BW transfer box only has splines along around half of it's length. The LT230 needs them full length. Not a big problem as the output shaft just bolts on so not a problem to change them.

There is also an adaptor bracket that bolts to the top of the ZF to take the LT230 high-low-diff shifter mechanism although you can probably make something up it's a lot easier if you can get the actual bracket (around £60 IIRC). The Disco II cable shift is easier to fit but more expensive.

Neither the LT230 or the BW have a Hi-Lo switch, I can't think of any Land Rover that did other than the fully electronic ones on the later Rangie etc...

Cheers for the reply.

I had noticed the prop length difference, but this isn't a major problem so to speak. The reason being is, in order to fit this auto (instead of my defender length LT77) i am moving my back wheels back as well (using a P+P extended A frame, and remounting my gigglepin arms). So now i need new props front n back. Neither of which i had to start with anyway (well, not wide yoked ones - which were on the original shopping list).

It's going from an 88" 3.5 v8 on carbs to a +- 95" 4.2 v8 on ms :).

Hi-Low switch - i've been an idiot on this one, apologies. i was thinking of the difflock switch and not putting 2 an 2 together about the viscous coupling.... :unsure::unsure:

I've found a bracket for the lever on another scrap gearbox we had hiding away :)

Can i just unbolt an output shaft from a RRC LT77 and put it into the zf ?

Thanks for your help

Gordon

Can i just unbolt an output shaft from a RRC LT77 and put it into the zf ?

Thanks for your help

Gordon

I don't know if ZF's that had a BW viscous transfer are different to ZF's that have an LT230. The ZF's for LT230's use a spud shaft to drive the LT230 input gear. The spud slips onto the output shaft from the ZF and can be fitted/removed with the LT230 bolted up to the ZF.

The early spud shafts had short splines for the LT230 input gear. But because of spline wear issues, the later input gears and spud shafts have longer splines.

See Ashcroft web site.

ftc5090.jpg

From my recent experiences of this subject when fitting a ZF to a Ninety -

Agree with comments ^^^ re prop lengths, although this was not an issue in my case.

Yes you will need to change hi/lo linkages to accommodate diff lock operation.

LT230 will bolt straight onto ZF box in place of the BW with certain provisions - The bolt pattern is the same, and the shaft splines are the same diameter and number of, and should be a compatible length if your LT230 input gear is standard.

If you try to fit a cross drilled LT230 input gear with the longer internal splines, and you have the original 'spud' shaft with short splines on the ZF then it no fit.

As Bush65 has shown there is a shaft with lengthened splines just for this situation. This is something I still need to change on mine. I believe it's a simple job to swap over.