hub reduction gears

aigars

Hi!

I am rebuilding my landy and thought about lifting it up. Than i remembered i saw something like hub reduction gears on a land rover in some competition in lithuania some years ago. it was a polish defender 90 and the parts looked like originally made in land rover factory.

Is this true and where could i get these parts, or atleast can someone give me a part number.

sorry for my bad english cuz i am from latvia. if you didnt understand what was the hub reduction gears that i meant ill attach some pictures.

(heres a link. the picture is on the second page at the bottom)http://www.terenowo.pl/Aktualnosci/LRW_Feb_Tomcat.pdf

post-20467-125943318958_thumb.jpg

post-20467-125943321414_thumb.jpg

post-20467-125943323813_thumb.jpg

hi

land rover never made reduction gears for production vehicles, their special vehicles department may have made one or two "one off" vehicles so parts won't be available. There was an after market company that made kits to convert land rover axles but i can't remember who it was.

So it is possible but you would have to get an engineering shop to make them up for you at high cost, it would probably be easier to fit unimog or volvo axles under your vehicle.

Matt

Hi!

I am rebuilding my landy and thought about lifting it up. Than i remembered i saw something like hub reduction gears on a land rover in some competition in lithuania some years ago. it was a polish defender 90 and the parts looked like originally made in land rover factory.

Is this true and where could i get these parts, or atleast can someone give me a part number.

sorry for my bad english cuz i am from latvia. if you didnt understand what was the hub reduction gears that i meant ill attach some pictures.

(heres a link. the picture is on the second page at the bottom)http://www.terenowo.pl/Aktualnosci/LRW_Feb_Tomcat.pdf

According to the article you provided the link to, the Polish Tomcat has Maxi-drive portals.

Maxi-drive was an Australian company that made after market parts to upgrade Land Rovers. They closed when the owner retired and could not sell the business - 2 other companies bought rights to manufacture some parts. They made the portal assemblies to bolt onto Land Rover axle housings. All parts including the stronger swivel ball, were made by Maxi-drive. I am not aware of anyone now making Maxi-drive portals.

post-62-125944086931_thumb.jpg

post-62-125944089914_thumb.jpg

post-62-125944091931_thumb.jpg

You might have seen a set of Portal axles from an Agrover. The pictures show Portal type axles made from some std series parts.

The axle pictured appears to be a flipped Dana type that has previously been shaved fot ground clearance when it was mounted the correct way up. The bolt on swivel housings are not LandRover items either. they are possibly off Russian GAZ or UAZ military trucks,not 469's but 2 tonners or there abouts.

As previousely mentioned it would be far cheaper and easier to fit volvo or Unimog axles than to attempt to make your own portal assemblies.Another option that you may be able to locate easily in your part of the world is a version of the UAZ469 that uses internal pinion and ring gear type drop down reducton

hubs.This design gives only about a 70mm lift but the diff is also very compact for a little more clearance.

There is a thread in the Members Vehicles section on my own portal hub conversion using many series components, but with all the options available to you in Europe I wouldn't recommend that you seriousely consider attempting something similar.

Maxidrive Engineering in Australia did make a batch of portal hubs to suit Land/RangeRovers, but they are no longer in business. The Agrover that was mentioned was unsuccessful, in that the portal hubs employed link chain and sprockets instead of spur gears. These portals had no ratio reduction and on the front axle they were fitted between the axle housing and the swivel,which aside from not reducing stress on the CV joints probably would have made the steering trackrod even more vulnerable to damage.

Bill.

The axle pictured appears to be a flipped Dana type that has previously been shaved fot ground clearance when it was mounted the correct way up. The bolt on swivel housings are not LandRover items either. they are possibly off Russian GAZ or UAZ military trucks,not 469's but 2 tonners or there abouts.

As previousely mentioned it would be far cheaper and easier to fit volvo or Unimog axles than to attempt to make your own portal assemblies.Another option that you may be able to locate easily in your part of the world is a version of the UAZ469 that uses internal pinion and ring gear type drop down reducton

hubs.This design gives only about a 70mm lift but the diff is also very compact for a little more clearance.

There is a thread in the Members Vehicles section on my own portal hub conversion using many series components, but with all the options available to you in Europe I wouldn't recommend that you seriousely consider attempting something similar.

Maxidrive Engineering in Australia did make a batch of portal hubs to suit Land/RangeRovers, but they are no longer in business. The Agrover that was mentioned was unsuccessful, in that the portal hubs employed link chain and sprockets instead of spur gears. These portals had no ratio reduction and on the front axle they were fitted between the axle housing and the swivel,which aside from not reducing stress on the CV joints probably would have made the steering trackrod even more vulnerable to damage.

Bill.

yeah i know it was from a russian jeep, but i just used it as an example