Defender 200Tdi Clutch Replament

Afternoon boys

My clutch it starting to go. im hoping it to last till harvest so i can put a ashcroft short bellhousing r380 in.

but if it goes completely before then.

i have been told that on Defender 200Tdi's its easyer to pull engine out rather then drop the box?

can anyone shed anymore info what the easyest option is?

(i dont have access to 4 poster and i dont fancy chaning another clutch via cold concete floor)

cheers

sam

Personally i'd rather remove the box. There's so much extra to take off if removing the engine (i'd have thought rad/intercooler, fuel lines - not to mention mine was a bit of a sod to get back on the mounts). If you remove the floor panels and screwed on sections fo bulkhead around the transmission tunnel there is loads of access and it is possible to do it by just swinging the box back, you dont even have to drop it.

Each to their own on this one, I think.

I've done it by dropping the boxes, as said above, with the tunnel out there's loads of room and very little faffing to get to all the bellhousing bolts. Other people have just shuffled the boxes back on the crossmember but I was happy to lower them to the floor and do a good inspection of the flywheel etc.

I think there's a lot less to be undone/put back on, dropping the boxes, compared to all the fluid pipes that need breaking to take the engine out.

I go the 'box out' route :P

I have found that you have to remove the hi/lo lever to get the box back enough to drop it down. If you don't drain the oil then you don't have to disturb any fluids. To my mind engine out has to mean you drain the coolant and disconnect fuel lines at least.

On 200s we remove rad and intercooler and pipes, disconnect air fitler and fuel line to injector pump. Lift engine off it's mounts and pull forward. That leaves just enough room to squeeze in get to the clutch.

You will need the best lifting gear to guarantee your safety while a whole engine is partially resting on the crane.