spring colours again

IIRC the colis closet together go at the bottom.

colour codes are Here

thats the colour codes iv bean looking at but if thats true then i have 1 spring from a 110/130 and the other from a disco but that carnt be so. thay are both the same hight and thickness. the back ones are ok its just the front i carnt find i thought perhaps the td5 wasnt on that list or something

Someone please explain to me how a variable rate spring knows which way up it is???????

Tighter coils at the bottom = harder to do up retaining bolts and more of a mud trap.

Tighter coils at the top = the end of the world maybe?

Until a grown up proves me wrong, I don't believe the orientation makes a blind bit of difference.

'Twas what I had always believed, not a jot of difference.

But now, thinking about it :P Closer coils at the bottom would lead to marginally increased unsprung weight, whereas at the top would be slightly lower unsprung weight, but then this is a Land Rover, not a sports car where every gram matters :)

hi is there anybody out there who can tell me witch springs i have and were they go? reading this thread from the top its very confusing the first link tells me that the yellow and white springs are for the rear then somebody said the drivers side is blue and red but if thats so then were douse the other yellow and white go? has anybody got an 06 td5 90 with standerd spring? ps the coils are the same all the way up there arnt any tighter ones and the yellow and white are 15mm shorter than the blue and red and the blue and green

For a Pre TD5 90 the springs are as follows:-

Part No Duty Axle Length Rate Number of coils Code

NRC9448 D90 Rear drivers side 15.31 225 8 blue/red

NRC9449 D90 Rear drivers side 14.80 225 8 yellow/white

NRC9446 D90 Front drivers side 15.19 175 7.75 blue/green

NRC9447 D90 Front Passenger Side 14.80 175 7.75 Blue/Yellow

This information is cut and pasted from the table in the link above. Some of the springs have multiple use as front springs on other vehicles (ie RC9448 and NRC9449 are used as HD fronts on 110 and 130.)

As Western has posted the TD5 rears should be (P/n RKB101230) Yellow/red and (P/n RKB101240) Yellow/white

Pete.

Edited by Pete Attryde

Thanks Ralph, that's useful :) Does that mean that the springs are actually handed then, since there is a different part number for each of the rear springs ?

Do you know the front spring numbers ?

90 front

Drivers side NRC9446

Passenger side NRC9447

Stock is blue/red on driver's side and yellow/white on passenger's side. Blue/green is a normal front spring. Why are you changing the springs? Why did you pay money for used stock springs? You could get a dozen for free any day of the week. 70% of the people on here have aftermarket springs with stock ones lying around getting old.

Stock is blue/red on driver's side and yellow/white on passenger's side. Blue/green is a normal front spring. Why are you changing the springs? Why did you pay money for used stock springs? You could get a dozen for free any day of the week. 70% of the people on here have aftermarket springs with stock ones lying around getting old.

i just wont to keep it all standard ish and i dont know anybody who is giving away deacent spring for free

As you state you only need to change the rears, and as you have a red/blue and a yellow/white (which are the factory fitted standard rear springs), I would do as Red90 suggests and fit them to the rear. This should if the springs are in better condition than your existing rear springs solve your problem. However as the seller has provided you (if the colour codes you list are correct) with three rears and one front I would be a little worried about the condition of said springs ;) .

Pete.