'99 Disco vs '05 Freelander

Matt S

Hi,

I currently own a 2005 Freelander Td4 :ph34r: which does everything I want it to, and I have had it since 2 years old so know it quite well. Trouble is, I have just seen a 1999 Disco TD5 for sale on Autotrader which looks brilliant. Pro's and con's for both I know - but leaving aside prejudice about which is 'better', would changing my Freebie (65000 miles, FSH, known quantity) for the Disco (109000 miles, FSH, no idea about it other than very cool ARB front bumper, advertised at £5000) make any kind of sense at all? :unsure:

This is all Land Rover Experience's fault. Having just done a day's off-roading in a Discovery 4 (want one, want one, want one - so much it hurts) they have sown the seed of having a Disco. Can't afford the 4 as I don't seem to be able to find a spare £40k lying around, but could p/x the Freebie against the TD5. Help... Anyone got any helpful ideas before I do something potentially expensive and daft??

Cheers

Matt

Bought with caution, I think the Td5 Discovery is a damn good vehicle but there are some doggy ones around so take care!

I am afraid I wouldn't keep any Freelander for a long time, 4/5 years old is probably a good time to move it on.

The Disco and the Freelander are completely different animals!

Make sure you can live with the more 'utility' nature of the Disco. It doesn't really like motorway cruising and can be a pig to drive around town if you don't have patience. That said, I would struggle to be without mine as it does everything I need it to... It is also a completely different animal when you spend a bit of money having it 'chipped' with any of the top 'tweakers'... I personally went the IRB route and have never looked back. As soon as money allows, it'll be going back for stage 2!!

Not being entirely sure about your pattern of use, but consider the lower towing capacity of the Freelander if it's something you do or plan to do in the future. Also it's height and width often make it awkward to use day in, day out for shopping and the like!! [sexism warning on] I don't suffer, cos I send SWMBO to do all that!! [/sexism warning off]

At the end of the day, if it ticks all of your boxes, go for it. The Disco is the better all-rounder in my opinion.