'93 RR Classic TDI Gearbox (LT77). What else fits?

Mike_H

I haven't seen it yet, but my mate tells me his gearbox has blown up in his RR Classic TDI.

I guess we'll be looking for one to swap in, so I'd appreciate advice on whether they're interchangeable with LT77s from Discos or defenders, or from V8s RR / Discos. Other than the question of whether they fit, are there differences in ratios to consider?

Alternatively, is an R380 box a straight swap? Which models would work? Which other bits would be needed?

Disco box should work, and an R380 will drop in as long as you retain the R380 bellhousing.

The R380 casing is longer, and the input shaft is shorter by the same amount so the overall length is the same, but you need the R380 bellhousing.

The gearbox and TBox can be taken out as a unit but it is bulky and F heavy , you can also take the TBox off first, much lighter especially with HB drum and back plate removed.

I have a apare LT77 attached to a viscous TBox out of a 200Tdi RRC , whereabouts are you ?

Cheers

Steveb

The gearbox and TBox can be taken out as a unit but it is bulky and F heavy , you can also take the TBox off first, much lighter especially with HB drum and back plate removed.

I have a apare LT77 attached to a viscous TBox out of a 200Tdi RRC , whereabouts are you ?

Cheers

Steveb

The car is at Silverstone at the owner's place. I live in Windsor

I've got access to decent trolley jacks, some big drive-on ramps, and an engine crane. I was wondering if the engine crane could be used from above inside the car (through the gear lever hole with a strap round the 'box) to lower the trans down. How much clearance is needed to drag the transmission assembly out from under the car - 18" ish? I reckon we could get it on the ramps using 4th gear and low range (that's how it got home).

The owner might know of an R380 box going spare. Does the clutch need to be changed to match the 'box, or are they the same? Any differences that I need to worry about in the transfer box? I think there were some design revisions when the R380 came in, but I'm not sure if they affect the fitting to older cars.

So, looking at the Britpart catalogue, the clutch kit is the same for R380 and non R380 models - STC8358

Can anyone give me a couple of pointers on how high I need to get the car, and any good tips for dropping the 'box out?

I've yet to tackle the transfer box and gearbox on my RR but using the engine hoist through the gear lever opening inside won't help as that will only support the main gearbox. The transfer box is separate to the main gearbox. I would estimate you need 18" ground clearance at the outer sills for removing the transfer box and with an extra pair of hands you should be able to manually remove this with a trolley jack to support the weight so that it doesn't bend the output shaft on the end of the transfer box. Measure the bell housing on the gearbox to find out how much clearance this will need.

I've yet to tackle the transfer box and gearbox on my RR but using the engine hoist through the gear lever opening inside won't help as that will only support the main gearbox. The transfer box is separate to the main gearbox. I would estimate you need 18" ground clearance at the outer sills for removing the transfer box and with an extra pair of hands you should be able to manually remove this with a trolley jack to support the weight so that it doesn't bend the output shaft on the end of the transfer box. Measure the bell housing on the gearbox to find out how much clearance this will need.

So if the strap is just round the gearbox it'll damage the T-box, or are you just thinking it'll be unbalanced? Sounds like a combination of engine hoist through the gearlever hole, and big trolley jack under the transfer box, could work.

i have removed and replaced these boxes using an engine crane in through the passenger door,remove the console around the gear lever and the rubber gasket,there is plenty of room then,an r380 box from a discovery will fit,i have a good one for sale for £125,chris.

Sounds hopeful re. dropping the box out. I'll see if my mate has found a replacement yet.