200tdi v 300tdi which is best and why?

Hi,

I've got a 200tdi and think its great but i've not had anything else and listening to alot of people who mention Land Rover Defenders they all seem to say that 300tdi models are better?

Is this just a matter of opinion or is it a matter of fact?

If they are better why, what are the real differences, power, fuel consumption, reliability etc?

Just curious really.

James

By design it should be better.

Landrover took the 200tdi (which was still using many components from the older TD engine) and improved/modified most of it to produce the 300tdi.

Both engines have their own foibles, and both are capable, but the 300 is a quieter and more refined engine.

Not enough of an improvement to swap one for the other, but all the little bits add up to make the 300 a better choice if its between one or the other.

Its also likely the 300's will be in better condition as they're newer.

Early 300s have no extra electrics, and you can easily bin the egr on the later ones.

You'd have to be REALLY scared of wires to even contemplate that as a valid difference lol.

Try stripping an Audi V8 engine harness and removing the autobox loom... Thats what you call electrics!

300 is meant to be a bit smoother & quieter than the 200Tdi,

300 has a bit more BHP & Torque

195lbft & 111bhp where's a genuine Defender 200Tdi is 188lbft & 107bhp,

doubt you'll tell much difference in fuel use between the 2.

in a disco, the 200 is also 111bhp and 195lbft.

as for smoother the early 300's probably arent, and gunge up with the EGR, but if you had a later one there would be complications with wiring and the ECU. both are very good engines though!

i was wandering with my mates though where did the 200 and 300 come from? my mate suggested that the 200 is 200 because it has 195lbft of torque which would be rounded up as a 195tdi wouldnt sound as good. but then where does the 300 come from? its the exact same power output, not 100 more lbft or bhp.

cheers

i was wandering with my mates though where did the 200 and 300 come from? my mate suggested that the 200 is 200 because it has 195lbft of torque which would be rounded up as a 195tdi wouldnt sound as good. but then where does the 300 come from? its the exact same power output, not 100 more lbft or bhp.

the 200 designation comes from the Discovery [1st] version as it had near enough 200Nm of torque

the 300 was meant to mean the 3rd generation of the Tdi range these being the

Discovery 200Tdi

Defender 200Tdi

&

Discovery/RR/Defender 300Tdi

otherwise known a the Gemini engines as there was intended to be a 2.5 petrol version too, but it was killed off because the diesil was selling so well, so no real need for a petrol version.