Tinting heated windows

Micky-Disco

Hi all

Thinking of tinting my rear windows myself, done a few simple ones in the past.

One thing worrying me are the heater strips on the rear windows. Will they cause bubbles? if so any tips to stop them?

also the little black dots etc around the edge of the windows, someone said they can be a pain too...

I cant afford a pro job, and really want this done to keep the sun out my kids eyes ( I know there aint much sun here in the uk lol)

all help and advice welcome ;)

Cheers

Mick

Ye it can be done, just takes some practice and patience.

You just need to keep working the bubbles to get all the air out.

You will end up with a slight ripple around the heater but nothing too noticeable.

Taking the glass out may help, but then supporting a large pane of glass isnt going to be particularly easy!

Hi all

Thinking of tinting my rear windows myself, done a few simple ones in the past.

One thing worrying me are the heater strips on the rear windows. Will they cause bubbles? if so any tips to stop them?

also the little black dots etc around the edge of the windows, someone said they can be a pain too...

I cant afford a pro job, and really want this done to keep the sun out my kids eyes ( I know there aint much sun here in the uk lol)

all help and advice welcome ;)

Cheers

Mick

check out You Tube their is loads of folk that show you how to do it, I got mine done limo black all round last month :D

Had my 300TDi done professionally and they had to remove the rear window to get a neat job. The window sits deep in the rubber and makes it hard to get the tint into place.

They then had to remove the window again to seal it properly and retint as it got damaged.

As an aside has anyone had the Alpine windows successfully tinted. They are the only windows with the exception of the windscreen that are not tinted and the tinters would not do them.

Adrian

I tinted the rear windows on mine myself, the back door was a right pain due to the curve of the glass, trying to get the film on smooth all the way round was difficult. I removed the glass from the car to do it and i know tinters round here always remove the rear glass to tint them.

I have also never seen a tinted alpine window, tinter we use at work doesnt touch them either, must be down to the curve of the glass.

Going to do mine for security reasons as I will be fitting as i've had one sound system nicked in the past. With curved glass it often helps to cut the film to shape & the place it on the outside of the glass & gently warm it up with a hair drier so the film take on the shape of the glass then fit it to the inside. This is alot easier for those with bonded window like on the D2

the reason it appears to be done on the outside is just to get the curve of the glass right, there are different ways but if you clean the outside of the glass then put the film on without removing the film from the sticky side and have what would be the sticky side facing up then you smooth down as best you can then you will find that the edges have ripples, if you use a heat gun on the ripples without creasing them they shrink, keep the ripples as small as possible by splitting them, more ripples = smaller ripples, as you shrink them smooth them down, this will in effect make a bubble shape film that fits the curve inside the glass which should be easy to fit using normal fitting methods. glass out is way easier.

the reason it appears to be done on the outside is just to get the curve of the glass right, there are different ways but if you clean the outside of the glass then put the film on without removing the film from the sticky side and have what would be the sticky side facing up then you smooth down as best you can then you will find that the edges have ripples, if you use a heat gun on the ripples without creasing them they shrink, keep the ripples as small as possible by splitting them, more ripples = smaller ripples, as you shrink them smooth them down, this will in effect make a bubble shape film that fits the curve inside the glass which should be easy to fit using normal fitting methods. glass out is way easier.

hi my friend owns a tinting comp,tinted vision north east(newcastle)he cleans rear window outside and in,cuts film on outside(sticky facing out)puts talcum powder on outside of window to stop it sticking to window then he uses heat gun in curved ares(before peeling clear backing off),then sprays a mist of water with small amount of washing up liquid to the inside of window and back of film(sticky side)this helps to slide film into correct position,then use plastic sqweegee to force water to edges,then use heat gun allover window to help dry any leftover water,the black dotted matrix around the window can be coverd by using film,just it has to be pushed back down several times over the drying period,hope this is off some help. dave