Roll Cage Fitting

Evening all.

Hopefully next year I'll be able to buy myself a roll cage to go on the 90, and looking at the prices (North Off-Road one is the one I'm looking at) I could save myself around about £400 by fitting it myself, not to mention the aggro of driving up to Stockton-on-Tees to have it done.

My question is (that phrase is becoming a bit familiar recently, sorry about that), am I mad for even considering fitting it myself? Obviously it's something that needs to be done properly, and I would still be a novice/beginner welder when the time came. I have read Nige's (HfH) thread with interest, as it is the same basic idea (NOR cage onto 90 truck cab), but obviously his fabrication skills far outweigh mine :)

The other option of course is to pay the extra and have it professionally fitted. Or make friends with a local person who is capable.

Luckily I have a dry workshop in which to do it at least.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated :)

Hi, in answer to your question I would advise you to get it professionally done. After all it is there to prtect you as a safety feature. I definitely would not advise you to fit it yourself if your are not a confident welder. I weld myself and I am a Land Rover tech and even I would think about getting installed by someone who knows how as Im not confident I know exactly how it should be mounted, etc.

Highly reccomend Whitbread too.

Worth having a go yourself, it's not that difficult, worth measuring and tack welding things a couple of times. I measured up where I wanted the side rails, then drilled the roof and trimmed the front hoop to sit low enough to meet the fishtails. The rest is almost accademic once you have got those three componenets correct.

They are only 45 minutes drive away, so if that is correct then that is a great help thank you.

As much as it pains me, I believe it is probably best to have the cage professionally installed. I would not be confident enough in my welding skills if I'm honest, I was hoping everyone would turn round and say 'Oh it's easy to do' and 'A novice welder can do it simply enough'

Well better safe than sorry, even if it does cost me a bomb :)

I have just bought a North cage myself (as you may know) Now I started welding a couple of weeks ago and I have had a fair bit of practice now, Just about to finish up welding the new rear x member in. I have had a dable in the roof cross and I didnt think it was too hard, As long as you are getting good penetration and a decent looking weld. The North cage is seriously good quality it all seems too slot together very tightly so all the joints are near perfect!

But if you dont want to do it yourself how about buying the kit and tacking at all together to save a bit on labour?

Heres a pic of one of Norths welds.

09122009580.jpg

and heres one of the ones I have done.

09122009581.jpg

I think it comes down to how confident you are but I would say its worth putting in the practice and see how you get on and have someone check your work and see what they think.

I think it comes down to how confident you are but I would say its worth putting in the practice and see how you get on and have someone check your work and see what they think.

hey up, I'd agree with jcwcooper, it depends on your confidance.

I have looked into both options as you, - I live in Aberdeen and its a fair way to my nearest fitter of most things and I'm using my Landy for an excuse to do/learn all the skills I've not managed to do otherwise. I'm not a welder but I intend on welding one up myself, if you've got a bit of a clue of how to weld (books & internet) and know some of the pit falls and things to avoid and you've got a fairly steady hand then go for it yourself.

I do a lot of steel/weld inspection in my day to day work and you would have to weld it very very badly indeed to compramise the integrity of the structure, with welding you inherently have a lot of built in contingancy.

Good luck whichever way you choose.

Mav