Replacing my standard 110 windscreen with a heated one?

Got a spreading stone (small rock) chip in the windscreen, although not a problem it will need replacing, clearly I can do this on the insurance for the standard £50 excess, however it set me thinking:

1. Could I ask they change it for a heated screen? If I could, would I have to pay the difference plus excess?

2. If not could I buy a heated screen and have them fit it instead of the replacement?

I tried fitting several screens in the past and they never ended well!!

3. How much is a heated screen and where would I get one from?

4. Clearly I will need a relay of appropriate size and a switch, (? would I be able to jack into the rear demist switch as would want them to activate together anyway?)

Is it really as simple as that? Is so why do more people not do this? Am I the only one who de-ices both sides of the screen? Had a heated screen in my crazy days of Range Rover driving which made winter driving and keeping the screen clean a lot easier.

Thoughts please.......

I bought mine from local autoglass type company for my 90, seem to remember including fitting was about £250 - this didnt include the electrics ie relays etc.

The relay came from landrover so it was only ignition live, ie only worked when engine running and it wasnt the cheapest part ever. Switch also came from landrover so it kept the dash looking tidy, i didnt wire in cause all that would have caused is a fire but local garage did it and didnt hate too much.

Best thing i have done for winter driving.

Expect to pay the extra...Glass companies will only fit like for like.

AFAIK there are three types if heated 'screen for the Defender

Three connections at the top

Three connections at the bottom

Two connections

Wiring was discussed recently here...

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49534&view=&hl=wiring colour codes&fromsearch=1

I'm hoping to wire mine next week. I'm using two heated rear window timer relays. These relays require a push type switch to latch them.

HTH

i have fitted one,

You can get the timer relay from HERE

The screen from any LR parts dealer

You will need a off / mom carling switch.

Then you can take the feed from the ignition aux. / or straight off the battery with an inline 30amp fuse, of through an aux fuse box (or whatever you are doing extra)

And you can take the ignition live from the white wire off the ignition.

These are earthed via the middle against the frame (well mine is)

I did mine at the same time as doing some heated wing mirrors, put both on a timer relay and separate feeds.

I am going to be restoring a land rover wolf XD and want to fit a heated screen when I do it. Does anyone know if the screen is the same part as for the 12v, obviously I will need to track down a 24v timer relay, but will the extra volts make a difference to the actual screen or will it be a different part altogether for 24V?

Does the front pull more current than the rear demister?

That I don't know. What I do know is Land Rover have the heated 'screen wired up so that the 'screen can only work with the engine running. Not the ignition switched on but the engine actually running. IIRC it's wired through the oil pressure switch. No oil pressure, no 'screen.

That's why I'm using a timer rely for each side of the 'screen.

Thanks guys,

I will speak to the screen people and see if we can do a "deal" or at least get them to fit the unit free. I am supprise how cheap the screens are,

Guess it draws a fair wack hence the 70amp relay and the need to have the engine running a timer relay! my old P38 rangerover had a heated screen and there are plenty of those on the scrap pile so it may be a good source for a timer relay and normal relay, I can get a genuine switch and hook it up that way, although I always have a problem hooking the back of thoes switches up unless you buy the loom they don't come with the plug.

<£150 for a unit, when you take into the consideration the £50 excess that will only cost me £100 for the upgrade plus the wiring well worth it I think, don't know why more people dont do it.

Are there any downsides?

I wanted to upgrade to a heated one too after I managed to break my normal screen. Being the honest chap that I am I asked my insurance company NFU that I wanted to upgrade to a heated screen and pay the differnce. "Can't do that Sir we only fit like for like or original" told them that they can be original fitment!

Err! Ok Sir will get you a price £1300.00!

Rang back after simmering for an hour or two, spoke to a different call center chap, "No problem Sir, just talk direct to " Autoglass" Ipswich.

£90.00 extra to pay...! Great..

Chap turns up to fit screen, no windscreen rubber on board, didn't want to fit the old one as it would look bad...

Arranged to take it down to their fitting centre the next day, new 3x tag screen, new rubber.... and... didn't even charge the £90.00

Installer told me they get paid regardless what ever they install and weren't bother if like for like or not...

So, I'd tell insurance company you've broken your heated screen and give the fitter drink.... not forgetting the rubber seal...

good luck..

Got a spreading stone (small rock) chip in the windscreen, although not a problem it will need replacing, clearly I can do this on the insurance for the standard £50 excess, however it set me thinking:

1. Could I ask they change it for a heated screen? If I could, would I have to pay the difference plus excess?

2. If not could I buy a heated screen and have them fit it instead of the replacement?

I tried fitting several screens in the past and they never ended well!!

3. How much is a heated screen and where would I get one from?

4. Clearly I will need a relay of appropriate size and a switch, (? would I be able to jack into the rear demist switch as would want them to activate together anyway?)

Is it really as simple as that? Is so why do more people not do this? Am I the only one who de-ices both sides of the screen? Had a heated screen in my crazy days of Range Rover driving which made winter driving and keeping the screen clean a lot easier.

Thoughts please.......

When you ring autoglass just tell them its a heated screen, thats all I did and it cost me the £75 excess, the bloke who came never looked but if your worried tell them it smashed and remove it your self beforehand. My best advice is for you to buy a new rubber for when they come, they dont keep them with them and defender windscreen rubbers crack with age around the edges then leak.

When you ring autoglass just tell them its a heated screen, thats all I did and it cost me the £75 excess, the bloke who came never looked but if your worried tell them it smashed and remove it your self beforehand. My best advice is for you to buy a new rubber for when they come, they dont keep them with them and defender windscreen rubbers crack with age around the edges then leak.

Thanks, However I would really rather not go down that route though, I pride myself on my honesty and it is the one big value I push onto my children, the above would not fit with that and would technicaly be theft which I would not want to do. I know they are big business etc and they screw us every day, but theft would make me no better than them, or the scrote that nicks the shiny bits off your pride and joy.

I have allready obtained a new rubber as last time they changed it it looked flakey, I am off ill at the moment but when I get better will nip down and speak to the autoglass people and see what can be done, I will update when I know.

Cheers, Jason.

Err... me again... just sorting out the bits n pieces for the job...

re. cable size. as the three tag screen shares it's ground / earth does this cable have to be able carry the full 70amps...? and would a crimp type connectors be up to the job..?

thanks

Dave..

Thanks, However I would really rather not go down that route though, I pride myself on my honesty and it is the one big value I push onto my children, the above would not fit with that and would technicaly be theft which I would not want to do. I know they are big business etc and they screw us every day, but theft would make me no better than them, or the scrote that nicks the shiny bits off your pride and joy.

I have allready obtained a new rubber as last time they changed it it looked flakey, I am off ill at the moment but when I get better will nip down and speak to the autoglass people and see what can be done, I will update when I know.

Cheers, Jason.

Good for you - a rare quality these days !