RRC Grille conversion

Will C

My old RRC 78 chassis has had an early 90's body fitted but I'd like to go back to the period look grille and decals, I recently acquired an old grille and light surrounds but does any one know if I have to fit plastic bowls or other trickery as I'd light to keep the later more powerful lights. Any info apperciated.

Will

My old RRC 78 chassis has had an early 90's body fitted but I'd like to go back to the period look grille and decals, I recently acquired an old grille and light surrounds but does any one know if I have to fit plastic bowls or other trickery as I'd light to keep the later more powerful lights. Any info apperciated.

Will

I'm not sure I follow your train of thought here. I can't see how you can achieve the 'period look' of the '78 when you've got a four door body? Anyway, the grilles should swap but hopefully the rest will be answered by someone who has done the same work.

I hear you G&T - it's not technically the correct body for a '78 nor indeed for the vertical grille but here in the emerald Isle the registration number system changed completley in the late 80's and driving a car on vintage plates with the more modern look doesn't quite fit either. So there is a certain logic. Anyway just found a nice clean set of light surrounds that will do the job nicely!

W.

Will

The headlights, sealed beam or halogen are the same fitment so you should be able to use halogens with the old front grille.

I can't see how you can achieve the 'period look' of the '78 when you've got a four door body?

Don't forget they did make a 4-door before the grille changed (1986-ish?). Admittedly a 4-door wasn't about in '78. Just a question of how far you want to go with appearances.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to use the bowls as the headlamps screw directly to the headlamp surround on the early cars as I had to buy it all to convert mine to the later grill it's all interchangable though

Thanks all - got a pair of surrounds and a grille in need of repair from a friend. will post a few pics when the weather improves enough to do the job.