5th Gear

ROGUE TROOPER

Not a fair test IMHO, just annother article to discredit 4x4s. A 300tdi spec Disco is never worth 10k, even a late ES model; you should deffinatly get a TD5 disco for that money along with the added safety features. By the look of it they tried to find the highest spes, oldest Disco they could and the lowest spec, newest MPV.

You've also got to remember the figures that came out a year or so ago which listed the Defender, Discovery and RR as offering the best chance of survival/minimal injury in an accident.

I crashed a Disco hard into the back of a tractor, it hurt, but the Disco was still towable.

You can engineer a test crash between any two cars to get the outcome you want pretty much. All round I would rather be in a Land-Rover that crashed than any MPV.

Will :)

FRom the 5th gear website 4x4 V MPV !

Not having seen the programme, this was a crash test then was it?

Looking at the pictures, the crash test was done on the corners of the cars? I understand that this is one of the most common accidents on our roads and the Renault is presumnably designed with this in mind. The 40YO RR based Disco probably was not. I wounder what if they had been crashed head on? Rear ended? Side impact with each other? :)

10k does seem a lot to pay for a Disco 1!

Chris

Looking at the pictures, the crash test was done on the corners of the cars? I understand that this is one of the most common accidents on our roads and the Renault is presumnably designed with this in mind. The 40YO RR based Disco probably was not. I wounder what if they had been crashed head on? Rear ended? Side impact with each other? :)

Chris

I saw that.... and I must say it's got me thinking about an 8274 and Simex's on a Renault Espace!

Chris

The crash test was setup to show how the 2 vehicles could cope with a 50% frontal impact at 40mph, right front corners & halfway across the nose was the impact area.

bet they don't add the video to the webpage :lol:

Well I bumped into the back of a late Renault Clio at less than 20mph(really)

the clio suffered:

tailgate crushed into rear seats

rear window smashed

both rear quarters pushed onto tyres preventing rear wheels from turning

lights/bumper trashed

and sadly both occupants off to hospital a little worse for wear.

the 90 had glass all over the bonnet and nothing else not a scratch

this is not a boast it is plain fact

2.3tonnes Vs a clio(safe car apparently) = destruction of the clio, unwell occupants.

Will Warnes covers it exactly

10k would have a TD5 disco there against the Espace with more saftey features, any why did the air bags on the disco not activate??

I know where I feel safest..

I wonder why they did not test like for like?

For example using a BMW5 or a Merc ML or the Volvo 4x4's, given that their design/construction is more compatible with the Renault MPV.

Probably not prepared for the write-off cost.

John

Reading the C5 website it suggests that they wanted to test a pair of "typical" 10k school run cars. I would suggest that the Espac vs. the Discovery made better (more shocking?) television - from the producer's point of view.

Chris

It seems like an odd test to do - but you have to remember this is television not science.

We have an Espace at work. It is constantly off the road with problems with its silly little gizmos, such as its electronic handbrake, has an awful driving position, the rear view mirror sits in the middle of the windscreen obscuring your view if you are over 5'10", its panels and lights shatter with the slightest knock and its engine is rubbish. It's supposed to be on call round the clock for long distance blue light runs but the staff opt for a "spare" Ford Focus if they can get away with it.

We also had a Discovery. It had three reasonably serious prangs, and reached 250,000miles on two engines. Now I know people on this forum would expect more than 125k out of an engine but you have to consider that it was filled to the gunwals with heavy equipment and ranted by the emeregency services 24/7/365. It was pretty knackered after three years but just kept going and shrugged off a number of collisions with deer! It's now kept as a load lugger to tow double axle trailers.

The vehicles don't compare.

One fact is indisputable:

If you have a crash, one vehicle is going to come off better than another.

Cheers

Chris