Frozen locks

Last few days my drivers door lock has been frozen solid. Managed to get some lock deicer into it today but it still would not open. Once I had climbed in from the passenger side and driven for 5 miles it opened OK so I think the issue may lie behind the door card. That said the lock is getting a bit loose and sloppy so perhaps it just fills with condensation and freezes.

I wondered if this was a common issue and if there were known solutions to it.

Thought I would ask before I start wrecking the door card by trying to remove it to see!

Thanks

OK and thanks. Will check the door card tomorrow (it must be long overdue a good thumping). It will surely be frozen solid tomorrow morning since it is serious brass monkeys outside tonight.

In terms of key turning. Initially could not even get key into lock but after first liberal dosing with lock deicer I got the key in but it would not turn and I was not minded to force it lest key snapped.

Once inside I tried lifting the lock slide at the top of the card. There was some movement but it would not release the lock (which is what makes me think it may be freezing outwith the lock mechanism as well as inside it)

If there is no mechanical fault and it is still freezing solid......what I always do is, the night before it freezes again, use the thin tube that comes with a can of WD40 and squirt that into all exterior locks on trucks, cars and house. If there's water in there it will be flushed out- if there's WD40 inside there won't be moisture - if there's no moisture it won't freeze! HTH ;)

I'm guessing you have push-button door handles. My Mum always has this problem on all the Defenders she has owned.

Leaving the car unlocked is one option if you live somewhere secure enough, but then we found the button would stick in and the door wouldn't stay shut!

WD40 in the lock barrel does help remove the water, but the most effective option seems to be to wrap an old towel around the door handle overnight.

My 1986 Ninety with lift up handles has NEVER suffered this problem :lol:

okay beastie, it is freezing as there is moisture in the lock, and the cold is freezing it. you can use your cooker before you leave the house on your key, then insert a hot key into the lock. that will solve the immediate problem. a more permanent fix is however, some white grease, or something which will stay in the mechanism. you will need to make sure it is all free, wd40 it up to remove the moisture, then dry off the wd40 from the lock mechanism and then greaes it up. once the grease is on it and sticking to it, the problem will/should go away. wd40 is good for chasing the moisture away, but as it is so thin, it runs off and the whole thing starts again.

the mechanism does need to be clean and free(ish) from wd40 and dry before the grease sticks well enough to the lock. the stuff you can spray from a can for linkages and chain lube is very good at sticking to metals. i would suggest chain lube even though it is more expensive than just white grease but in this case, you get what you pay for.

oh yes, make sure you have a spare key too as the heating up will make the key rust over a prolongued period. and watch out for your fingers too if you heat it too much!!

richard

Rather than grease, I have found a squirt of engine oil in the lock works pretty well for preserving the operation of it, this is after freeing it up with WD.

Do *NOT* use lock deicer as it container water  :rolleyes: which once the ethanol/solvent has evaporated is pretty good at freezing and corroding your locks....

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Things have improved with the squirting of WD40; parking with the drivers door facing south rather than north and trying a sort of large rag around the lock and button at night. Very cold last night but no problems.

Am becoming more convinced that actually a new lock is the answer but that begs the question of finding that once I get the card off it is a new door and then that in turn probably forces the issue of a new bulkhead to cope with the couple of holes that are appearing.

Oh the joys and wonder of so much decision making. I just love it :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Things have improved with the squirting of WD40; parking with the drivers door facing south rather than north and trying a sort of large rag around the lock and button at night. Very cold last night but no problems.

Am becoming more convinced that actually a new lock is the answer but that begs the question of finding that once I get the card off it is a new door and then that in turn probably forces the issue of a new bulkhead to cope with the couple of holes that are appearing.

Oh the joys and wonder of so much decision making. I just love it :rolleyes:

Thanks for info on this post :)

Got our 05 reg in july this year and well pleased with it so far.

Bit of a shock when it decided to turn into Fort Knox this week due to an iced lock.

With my height & weight it was a bit of a task climbing in back of a station wagon ;)

Will try your suggestions and decided to join site

Cheers