Practicalities of a 130 vs a 110?

Mark

I am seriously looking at swapping my discovery for a more appropriate vehicle for what I use it for - that is general purpose truck for hauling myself and friends with stuff around for the various activities I get up to, as well as towing our competition truck, being a support vehicle for those events, and also as a camping (not quite, but maybe in the future overlanding) truck...

As a comfy tow truck, a Land cruiser wins out, but I am thinking more in terms of a 110 or a 130. Particularly an ex-environment agency 130 crew cab with a quadtech box (ie same height as the crew cab). The 110 option would be something along the lines of a commercial station wagon (ie 5 seats, but van back, possibly with bulkhead).

I am also looking for a td5 rather than a 300.

Anyone got any experience of running a 130, and what sort of restrictions the size of the truck imposes?

Having had a 109 for some time, I am pretty comfortable with the size of a 110, I am just wondering how much more the extra size of the 130 becomes an issue?

Cheers

Mark

I was looking at 130's with exactly the same idea. I was put off by how limited the turning circle was. I ended up buying a 110 commercial station wagon. Must admit I still fancy a 110, and feel I could get used to the turning circle but heard so many horror stories of people getting shut after a short period of ownership.

Probably does not help at all but thought I let you know my experience.

Cheers

paul

I drove a 130 for 9 months until i took it drystone walling. Absoloutly fantastic vehicle, never ever found the length or turning circle an issue. Mine was a hi cap although i did have an ifor back for it too wich came in handy for keeping stuff dry, i can inmagine a quadtech would be even better as a workshop type setup-ideal for eventing. If i was looking at doing camper/expedition i would have a seperate quadtech body and swap them over between comping and expo work.

As a tow vehicle and ride i think they are superb not to mention their ability to swallow carp useful items :)

Check for rust on the lower chassis rails as they are double skinned (or mine was) and had one or two bubbles in it.

Will.

I used to drive a 130 300tdi with a quadtech body. It was an ex electricity board vehicle, which we thought would be perfect for our use. It turned out to be incredibly slow, with a huge turning circle. Its carrying capacity weight wise was very low. The weight issue came about after being pulled over in a routine check by vosa. We had 4 people including the driver on board and approximately 200kgs of tools. It turned out we were marginally over weight. Yet all tools put in a 110 csw with 4 people and we had loads more weight capacity but less space.

I would deffinately go for a td5, but would choose a 110 csw rather than a quadtech. The quadtech bodys weigh too much.

Jason

Once I became used to the oil tanker like turning circle I never found the additional length of the 127/130 I had to be a problem. Once I had de-restricted the V8 it used to shuffle on pretty well all things considered. The longer wheelbase gives a relatively smooth ride on road too.

Thanks for the responses chaps, turning circle does seem to be a common theme, but I was expecting that to some extent.

The issue with weight is not really something I had considered. With 4 up and a load of (for example) camping gear, from what you are saying, you would easily be over the weight limit. That would rather render the whole thing pointless...

Chris, I know we have talked about your thoughts, and wondered if you have come any closer to a conclusion? One of my main drivers for the change is the issues of towing with the disco, and I am not sure if your solutions retain that capacity?

I seem to remember you also investigated 130's briefly - why did you decide against them?

any other thoughts gratefully received.

Mark

As a thought, does anyone have a td5 130 crewcab with a quadtech back box that I can come and have a look at? The nearest one I can find is in stourport, so I wondered if there was one closer to West Sussex than that???

ta

Mark

The quadtec box weighs a ton as said, a better bet would be to start with a 130 crewcab HCPU which only weighs about the same as a 110SW, and build a roof on the pickup bed, it has been done here a few times, ranging from made up from proper factory roof and side panels and sheet alloy to look like a factory job, to a flatiron roof and plywood rear which looks like the early prototype for Ifor Williams :)

I know somebody who ran one until a few months ago and went everywhere in it. Off road, sometimes they do rather well as the wheelbase is completely different to the majority of vehicles so you are more likely to have at least 2 wheels on firm ground and thus not in the same ****hole as the previous guy. Turning circle could be an issue, but not down here :) and ramp breakover, I guess you have to drive to compensate but I have not really noticed it causing problems.

The other thing that is worth mentioning is that there are four "Quadtec" bodies - single cab low roof, single cab high roof, double cab low roof and double cab high roof.

If load carrying capacity is a priority then go for the 130 - you won't regret it. Sure the lock is rubbish but it's only a bit more rubbish than a 110. You just get used to it, the same goes for always having to look for the extra bit of parking space. On the subject of size, looks are deceptive. A 130 Dbl-Cab with Hi-Cap is actually shorter than a Dbl cab Hilux. Honest!

The downside to their rarity is it may take a while to find a good one. Most have been owned by utility companies and will have worked hard for a living before being de-fleeted. The upside to this is if you have a good one, there will be no shortage of buyers when you come to sell it. I sold my old 130 to the first person to come look at it within 48 hrs of ad being published. 6-months later I'm still getting enquiries from all over Europe from buyers. I wish I had a yard full of them! Based on my own experience of selling my 130 I reckon they have to be one of the most sought after LRs so even if you don't like it, there will always be a queue of people waiting to take it off your hands.

I wouldn't bother with the Quadtech. Too heavy. A Truckman Top on the back of the Hi-cap body is plenty big enough. I had 5 mountain bikes in mine once.

Without the Quadtech I'd say they're more saleable.

They cruise wonderfully on the motorway. If you go for a Td5 get it chipped and it'll be fine.

Chris, I know we have talked about your thoughts, and wondered if you have come any closer to a conclusion? One of my main drivers for the change is the issues of towing with the disco, and I am not sure if your solutions retain that capacity?

I seem to remember you also investigated 130's briefly - why did you decide against them?

In the end I decided against a 130 on grounds of size, since I was using the 110 as a daily driver I needed to be able to get in and out of Tesco, park at the Post-office etc.

The issues I have with the 110 are mainly driver/cabin comfort related. I tend (have tended to, less so now) to do quite a lot of longer trips (south of Spain, Italy, Portugal, Morocco, Yorkshire!) and the 110 is OK, I did 1300 miles in one hit, but could be so much better. The back seat is a joke, it is not comfortable. You should try one, wait till I come down next. Fuel economy is not great either. Since I do not do 'extreme' off-road I think that I would be better off with a Disco 2/3 or a Freelander 1/2. I gain fuel economy (maybe), performance, loads of comfort, worry less about theft. I loose some interior space, the ability to carry messy things, some off-road capability (but since I am now only an occasional light greenlaner I can live with that). I can still tow light trailers - which is almost all I tow anyway.

My advice would be to buy a Disco2 like RocKeR's and chip it - either way, if it is a Td5, chip it, the difference is out of this world. It will tow well, your mates will still speak to you after a 45 minute journey in the back and with self levelling suspension I assume weight carrying is not a problem.

Personally I am favouring a Freelander, F2 if I can afford it, late F1 if not or perhaps a D3 - subject to trying them all out. ...but then I saw a cool looking LardCruiser this morning... Need to find something before Morocco in May really.

Chris

The chipped TD5 is pretty much a certainty - I towed Orange's 90 back from Peterborough with his chipped TD5 disco, and that was so much better than my 300.

I think I do need to look at hi-caps although I really like the potential of the the quadtech body. If the quadtech has that many drawbacks though, it seems unwise...

Disco 2 is an option, and retains he cabin comfort. I keep running out of space in the disco 1 and almost permanently have the rear seats down to get the boot space.

Disco 2 is an option, and retains he cabin comfort. I keep running out of space in the disco 1 and almost permanently have the rear seats down to get the boot space.

you'll have the same problem with the disco2 then, the boot space isnt miles apart between the 2 versions.

Mark,

I have a 130 double cab with box on the back. Its great. I dont have a LR tdi in it but a Nissan 3.5TD engine which has endless torque. Youre welcome to come over and have a look/drive as I live on a farm with plenty of space, just pm me for details.

TJ

The quadtec box weighs a ton as said, a better bet would be to start with a 130 crewcab HCPU which only weighs about the same as a 110SW, and build a roof on the pickup bed, it has been done here a few times, ranging from made up from proper factory roof and side panels and sheet alloy to look like a factory job, to a flatiron roof and plywood rear which looks like the early prototype for Ifor Williams :)

There is a belgian company i think that makes a great looking roof for the HCPU :) I will see if i can find a link. looks much nicer than a QuadTech.