Prematures timing belt failure

Dave.

The reason LR and most other manufacturers gave up using timing chains is the tolerance - or lack of in a chain. It is much easier to meet emissions regs - and get blistering performance - if all the bits of the engine are in sync.

Si

So why do Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki et al, produce bike engines that scream to 17,000 rpm, produce more power per litre than your average car but still use chains? They have to meet emmision regs same as everybody else! As for tolerance, the revs they achieve, I would suggest, needs a tighter tolerance than an oil burning stove in a Defender or Disco!

LOL

Dave.

The reason LR and most other manufacturers gave up using timing chains is the tolerance - or lack of in a chain...

That reminds me, I should change the timing belt in the Td5,

It's a heap more difficult than the Tdi as there is a big fat CHAIN in the way :P

I wonder if we will all sit back in our rocking chairs at the old folks home chatting about

the fact that the Td5 was more reliable than the Tdi :ph34r:

...and that they don't make electronics the way they used to,

all that new electronics is not as good as the old electronics....

run away, run away

Matthew

i think one thing we are losing sight of here is the fact that the wading plug should be reomved whenever the vehicle is being used on the road, if this had been the case then the belt wouldn't have been running in 2" of diesel, and the leaking diesel that would have run down and dripped onto the floor would have alerted the owner to the seal failure.

personally i'd say the owner was at fault, as it states in the TDi literature that the wading plug should only be fitted for wading.

there is a reason that there is a drain hole on the bottom of the timing case, just like the one on the bottom of the bell-housing... :rolleyes:

Dayco are a huge multi national company that produce drive belts for Everything... i'm sure they do have failures, but i bet 99.9% of them are due to installation, and operating conditions... :huh:

I had the same go on mine... That 50p sized seal behind the sprocket... It turned the cambelt to jelly...

I took the cir-clip out, popped the seal out, spoke to Landrover who said it was'nt a off the shelf bit...

An oldy up Hunters put me in touch with "Worthy Fuel Injection Ltd" 02380 224565 (Southampton)

It turns out they service/re-condition all the fuel pumps for Hunters. I took the seal down there, the bloke took a look at it, and then threw a new one at me... He said "Give me a quid for the tea fund"

When the belt went it did the usual 3 or 4 pushrods and snapped two rockers... I still have some spare rockers if anybody needs them as the belt went again 4 weeks ago!!

Enough is enough and I'm getting a 200tdi this Saturday.. Hopefully have more luck with that one.. :rolleyes:

- Sorry, but never ever bothered with the timing belt case butt-plug, on road, off road, or wading and still had the diesel jelly belt problem.. I never bothered with the bell-housing plug either...

personally i'd say the owner was at fault, as it states in the TDi literature that the wading plug should only be fitted for wading.

there is a reason that there is a drain hole on the bottom of the timing case, just like the one on the bottom of the bell-housing... :rolleyes:

Dayco are a huge multi national company that produce drive belts for Everything... i'm sure they do have failures, but i bet 99.9% of them are due to installation, and operating conditions... :huh:

Well the owner would be me. I think we've now established that Dayco are not to blame (this has been made clear in later posts to this thread to update readers) and that it was due to diesel spill into the timing case. Indeed the wading plug is there to be removed and replaced at will - doesn't stop it being annoying that it being left in for a relatively short time would result in damage. Oh and the engine is a DT not a TDi. I feel that I am not seeking to apportion blame or to moan at the world, rather that Les and I are sharing an experience with the forum for the general good. Forgive me if I am a trifle tetchy but having forked out for the repair I am not that keen on being lectured on when to remove my timing case drain plug.

Life can be a b**** sometimes tho can't it?

I think that if we did as land Rover recommended, we probably wouldn't be here.

I don't think I've ever seen someone hop out of their vehicle, crawl underneath to fit the wading plugs, and then the reverse afterwards. By far a better idea (and I think it's common practice), is to leave the plugs in and remove them once in a while to check that all is ok. If the plug was out, I think the damage would have been done anyway, but at a slower rate by the vapours of the fuel, rather than immersion in it. Mark left the drain plug as a recommendation from me. The steering on his truck fails whenever there's a greenlane nearby, and he tends to take a totally unplanned plunge into the undergrowth at any and all opportunity.

EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ABOUT YOUR GEARBOX M8! :angry:

Les.

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy