Great Christmas Present

missingsid

Project scuppered.

Following the death of my father I have to convert my garage into a room for my elderly mum.

First I have to empty the garage of Series1 V8, Z1000 and tools etc. and move them to a local farm. I only needed the Series1 to get an MOT and make half a dozen trips to a local (ish) farm and back where I have rented a couple of garages.

Series1 has not run for some years so 1st step drop the oil and put in flushing oil, pull the dizzy and run the oil pump up on a drill.

Replace Dizzy adjust fuel pump and add new battery. Even on old fuel the engine fires up an runs OK. :D

Run for a while, notice a small water leak (top hose needs replacing). :unsure:

Replace flushing oil with new correct oil and change filter.

As this is OK I move on to MOT stuff etc.

After cleaning and patching chassis in a couple of areas and paint, fixing exhaust, replacing clutch master and slave cyls, clutch works OK (surprise as I expected it to be stuck to flywheel), replace brake master cyl and clean and paint fuel tank.

Last couple of jobs to do are replace brake slave cyls, change wheels to ones with new tyres and fix front light lenses.

Each day I start up engine to see how it is running and it sounds fine, in fact it sounds sweet. :)

Two days ago I ran it on the starter without ignition and heard a load clack sound from a tappet. When the oil pressure came up on the starter (good sign) the clack disappeared, started engine and all was well. :)

Today I ran it on the starter and it would not start but the noise was much louder, it sounded like a ratcheting sound followed by a hammer hitting the ally block .:o

After removing the rocker cover from the side of the loudest noise I can see that the inlet valve on cyl no3 is sticking open and only closing when the piston hits it (I think). :(

The loud clack though is not the piston hitting the valve but the push rod hitting the tappet. The ratcheting sound is during the valve moving down by the camshaft and rocker etc.

All the valves can be pushed down by a gentle lever with a screw driver except no3 inlet which is unmovable. At best it will be a replacement valve and guide, but in truth it is not worth it as there is bound to be other damage. :(

So before I can clear the garage I am now looking at a replacement V8. :(:(

Oh well I was surprised it had gone this well so far, the trouble is the spare engine is.........in the garage at the farm.

I am tempted to just take the head off the spare engine or get one from ebay just to get me by.

Marc.

if its a bodge your looking for cant you free it up by taking the rockers off and turning the valve with the spring and collets off?

duck oil and some pasty!

rough i know but if its only for a small job its got to be easier, then just replace the engine when youve got your moving done.

Yeh thought of that but not sure if it is bent valve?

I have found a couple of interesting looking EFI heads on Ebay so we will see what happens.

thanks for the thoughts.

Si cheers for the offer I might just take you up on it I will PM you if the heads idea does not come through.

Happy Christmas to you though.

Marc.

Before writing the engine off i would do as suggested first in case the valve is not bent but just seized in the guide - some WD40 etc. to see if it will free up.

Agree with steve. This is probably freeable. It'll wear ur guide quicker but if ur not using it much then it'll probably last for many years.

Jeez aint ebay fun.

I've been watching a pair of EFI heads that had 0 bids on them. 10 sec to end I put in a bid and lost. Looking at the Bid history an automated bit was added 7 days ago but did not show until I put in my bid!

Moral of the story don't use ebay! No it is that only manual bids show up unless checked.

Great even more Mildly miffed of now.

Marc.

Peed off changed to Mildly Miffed by forum......Not even close.

Jeez aint ebay fun.

I've been watching a pair of EFI heads that had 0 bids on them. 10 sec to end I put in a bid and lost. Looking at the Bid history an automated bit was added 7 days ago but did not show until I put in my bid!

Moral of the story don't use ebay! No it is that only manual bids show up unless checked.

Great even more Mildly miffed of now.

Marc.

Peed off changed to Mildly Miffed by forum......Not even close.

To be fair, eBay is designed like that to help try and prevent sniping.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, not what one needs at an otherwise already stressful time of year. I hope you get it sorted soon :)