Cooling fans not working

3lions

Hi,

anybody know if the cooling fan ecu can be tested? vehicle is a 1.8 petrol freelander 53 plate, engine is hot but no fans coming on, new engine coolant temperature sensor fitted checked all fuses / fusible links and changed main relay, no difference. If left ticking over for 1/2 hour or so the needle goes to about half way on gauge, thermostat opening ok (modified remote thermostat fitted) it just seems very hot under there and i have never noticed the fans cutting in at all.

I don't know if this helps but my TD4 diesel fans hardly ever come on although this might be due to diesels being more efficient hence the fitment of fuel burning heaters in some models.

Incidentally back in the 70's and 80's when fans were fixed to the water pump it was common to remove the cooling fan (to reduce overcooling and wasted power driving the fan) and engines hardly ever overheated even in summer, the advice was that if you got stuck in a summer traffic jam you just opened the windows and turned on the heater!

The fans do work (there are 2 fans by the way its got aircon) because if i take the connector off the ECT sensor the fans come on full blast and do not go off untill i stop the engine, i think this may be some sort of failsafe thing.

From the looks of it they are a variable speed set-up, the hotter the engine the faster they spin hence the ECU, i might be wrong hopefully some of you guys will know more.

Thanks.

Hi, there is a modified fan pack ECU and wiring loom available at Land Rover dealers. The ECU is a known fault. Also one fan should come on with the aircon switched on to assist, but it wont do it at the moment because it is too cold. You may see it assisting if the engine is really hot. Fans operate in three stages, slow, medium and fast, depending on the temp. They should kick in between half and three quarters on the temp guage. They will probably never kick in at this time of year though. As for pulling the connector off the ECT, this is a failsafe mode and clears as you found out with an ignition cycle. Hope this helps.