TI Console Disc Brake Conversion

minivin

Well, what can I say, it's cr@p <_< , have spent 9 hours so far and have managed to get one side done and half way through the second :rolleyes:

First thing I found was the grinding you must do to the housings for this kit, this was obviously an "upgrade" on their ventilated conversion which they couldn't be fussed to get right on the mark 1 version

DSCF1988.jpg

Afterall, holes nearly a 1/4" out of location tends to tell you something is seriously muked up!

DSCF1989.jpg

Having sat there grinding away and getting the sliding calliper to finally not touch the swivel housing I got one side done, only to find that I couldn't fit the calliper until I removed the filler plug because they had put one calliper mounting bolt in the way!

DSCF1990.jpg

Well, it got worse, having now moved onto the otherside and having done the grinding and fitted the bolts, I find that something hasn't been machined right and the disc only just touches the calliper mounting

DSCF1991.jpg

Sick to effing death :angry: unfortunately AstroAl wasn't to know that these kits were going to cause such grief as he'd only done his rear axle so I hold absolutely NO blame on Al, but I doubt TI will be interested in solving the latest problem as the kit is "2nd hand" in terms of sale :( now got to get the calliper mount skimmed, or angle grinder........ don't mount on that side so it don't matter...... <walks away muttering>

Looking at that last picture is the caliper bracket on the right way around? Seems to be "sticking out" towards the disc rather than the axle side?

Richard

yeah, they've made it that was as the disc is the same thickness as pretty much the gap through the calliper body, mount the disc mount the other way around and the calliper slot no longer alligns with the disc :(

Mmmmmmmmmmm Sliding caliper + Mud

Your going to need a "Special" sponge to these when you have been Mud ferretting :rolleyes:

Nige

Aiy, not best, but I aint intending to do much mud plugging for the foreseeable future

hmmm...... just the special sponge come with a special nurse....... :o

Well, having used the angle grinder and sanding disc attachment to remove some material from the calliper mount so that the hub would now rotate without touching I thought I'd proceed, until I rotated the hub and noticed this:

Disc centre-hub within hub ridge

DSCF1993.jpg

Disc centre-hub outside hub ridge

DSCF1994.jpg

The hub was rotating true, but they had mounted the disc off the centre line of the hub bearings before machining it to the hub :o bit concerning as with there still being quite a bit of mass close to the centre of the disc this could lead to imbalance and premature bearing failure :unsure:

Having decided that I had gone to far to not at least have the bearings fail within the next few hundred miles and refit my original set-up I decided to fit the calliper, got the lower mounting in and thought "ar$e, the bolts to long and binding on the disc", thicker tab washer fitted, "nope, still the same", polished the end of the bolt to remove some material "nope, tthis is silly...... hold on!" calliper body now touching the disc :rolleyes: they had left too much material on one side of the calliper mounting bracket (touching disc) and not enough on the other (to pull calliper away from disc), as Tony the Tiger says "ggrrrrrrrreat!".

don't really want to take an angle grinding disc to a calliper body, so going to see if someone at work can lathe a millimetre off for me tomorrow otherwise the truck aint going to be back on the road till next week :unsure:

Mmmmm, it might technicaly be second hand but I think you should get Astro Al to send it back to them. That is just shoddily made.

Chris

I wonder what they would consider acceptable "fitting" to get their products fitted, since having to sanding disc the calliper mount to make it clear that could be considered as voiding any possible warrenty :(

I wonder what they would consider acceptable "fitting" to get their products fitted, since having to sanding disc the calliper mount to make it clear that could be considered as voiding any possible warrenty :(

Try returning it at Billing - they wil be VERY quick to replace or refund - especially if they are (hopeing to be) busy!

Chris

Try returning it at Billing - they wil be VERY quick to replace or refund - especially if they are (hopeing to be) busy!

Chris

oooh now that's evil :D

Reminds me of a tale of a friend of a friend. The bloke brought an Indian Enfield motorcycle 15 years ago when they were pretty much made from melted down baked bean tins, the bloke had it for all of 4k miles with endless troubles and finally an exhaust valve seat dropping out the head, shattering the valve, cracking the cylinder head and pretty much righting the bike off economically. After endless troubles with the dealership refusing to pay for the repairs, he put it into umpteen coffee crates, took it upto the NEC Motorcycle Show and with a couple mates they walked it onto the Enfield stand and demanded a refund. It was quickly shuffled under the curtains and a full refund swiftly dealt with :D

Same principal.

A mate did it in Vision Express when his GF was having trouble with them. He stood on the counter and emptied the shop of customers on a Saturday morning. He then offered to come back and do it again every hour for the whole day - on the second visit a refund was forth-coming.

Chris

yeah, they've made it that was as the disc is the same thickness as pretty much the gap through the calliper body, mount the disc mount the other way around and the calliper slot no longer alligns with the disc :(

Not sure if I'm seeing this right, but I meant turn the caliper bracket through 180 degrees, not the disc?

Who are 'TI'?

I'm sure I should know (being in the biz) but it's a new one on me!

Si

Paul Heijstee is the man. I believe he comes here (or is it the other forum? :unsure: ) every now and then... From the mails I've exchanged with him, I got the impression he is a nice fellow to do business with. I'm planning on getting a set of parabolics from him, in a couple of months. I'm sure he will take care of that problem, if it's a design/engineering problem...

Rob,

The TI kits are supposed to come with replacement filler plugs that are socket headed so that you can fit the calipers. Secondly I think the tolerance in the swivel housings is very large, since I can remove one of mine without removing the caliper but the other I cant.

As to the disk offset problem you have, have you checked the wheel bearings? I had exactly this problem when i fitted my disks and had to change a brand new wheel bearing for one from a different manufacturer, since the first new one i fitted casued there to be too much offset. Suggest you have a very careful measure up and make sure that this isn't causeing your problem. Seems that there is also potential for too much tolerance here also!

Jon

Rob,

The TI kits are supposed to come with replacement filler plugs that are socket headed so that you can fit the calipers. Secondly I think the tolerance in the swivel housings is very large, since I can remove one of mine without removing the caliper but the other I cant.

As to the disk offset problem you have, have you checked the wheel bearings? I had exactly this problem when i fitted my disks and had to change a brand new wheel bearing for one from a different manufacturer, since the first new one i fitted casued there to be too much offset. Suggest you have a very careful measure up and make sure that this isn't causeing your problem. Seems that there is also potential for too much tolerance here also!

Jon

no filler plugs in the kit that hadn't been opened, later fitment?

Both the bearings looked to be the same part numbers when fitting it, just weird why one side has this issue and not the other <_< however saying that if the bearings being supplied by stockists are that bad a tolerance the quality checker should be put up against a wall and effing shot, if I was to carry a spare bearing and then find once I'd fitted it in the middle of no where that it threw the hub to one side and it now scraped the disc I'd be knackered :blink:

Sounds to me like trying to make stuff a little too tight on clearances and suffering because of a 50 year old design

looking at the pics on their website you've got the mounting bracket on back to front

the calliper bracket has an offset of about 5mm, at present it has an interference of 1mm, the disc is 13mm wide and the calliper gap 16mm, therefore rotating the mounting bracket would move it from a 1mm interference to a 6mm interference on the otherside that would have to be removed :)

changin to a different bsp plug is hardly rocket science, hyp hose do all sorts of different ones, or just cut down the ones u've got and slot them. i'm with jon about bearing offsets, they do vary between manufacturers, measure up offsets from side to side and see if they r the same, if alls ok then it appears the kit maybe at fault, have u measured the offset of both mounting plates?

Yep - wot he said!!! No idea if tehy were a later fitment but I remember seeing them when a mag did a feature on fitting the TI brakes kit.

From memory the bearing i threw away was an SKF and was replaced with an RHP. Neither were cheapo unbranded bearings!

Even then the offset was about 0.5mm different to the offside.

Jon

But even if it's a 0.5mm offset between bearings, that doesn't cater for the disc being around 2.5mm offset from the middle of the calliper body, I've never had a bearing that badly out of tolerance :blink:

You are forgetting about hub tolerances here - may be a factor as well???