help! windscreen wipers not working

pedro

Hello all, got in 110 to travel to airport today and windscreen wipers (had a little ice on windscreen which caused resistance) failed to operate!!

No clicking noises etc, checked fuse ok. I am tempted to say relay? (or stalk switch?) would this stop the function of windscreen wiper motor? Hope no rain on 23rd when i return!! any help would be great.

are the wiper blade rubber's frozen to the screen, it will lock them solid. have you sprayed deicer on them?

They were stuck for about a second then moved about 30 deg and then no movement. There wasnt much ice on the screen so didnt de-ice, but this obviously blew something and not the fuse. Wouldnt mind too much but stuck at airport and have to get home 23rd with no windscreen wipers!! Will call AA unless the brains here think blown motor. (not expensive) but if just relay could find one near Heathrow.

Try the earth connection - it can sometimes work loose. It should be a spade connection in the vicinity of the motor - you'll need to take off the lower left hand corner of the dash to access it.

Thanks very much for pointers. When got to airport I had a quick prod around motor with multi tester.. Everything seems connected ok, pulled wipers clear and still nothing. Motor not making any noises, fuse (10A) checked fine. Should be ok to limp from Heathrow to home 23rd dec as no precipitation forecast (fingers crossed!) Have bought some windscreen rain repellant in sunny Los Angeles, hope will be effective til get home! Guessing either motor, relay or switch!?

Having once put the wipers on when frozen to the screen and found the fuse blows I always carry spare fuses, LR wipers stick to the screen much more than other wipers (I find any way) Wife has Audi and sister in law who stays often has a VW and they can all be parked in a row and their wipers will go first time while I am out there de-icing, odd because surface area in those cars blades is much greater?

But you say in the opening post that it is not the fuse?

Had pleasant evening in the snow (!) checking wiring diagrams against switch connectors. There are 6 on the 300tdi on the stalk. It would appear that the washer motor is connected to the stalk switch so the wiper motor wont work if the stalk switch is broken. This was confirmed when tried the washer (the theory correct!) so tested fusebox and 12V is appearing at terminal number 4 (fuse also ok) so must be the switch (me and brother figure). So, new switch ordered on ebay (£20), will post results when it arrives!!

ps, this post very useful in fault finding, better wiring diagram than Haynes as colour codes wires

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=15999