Extend Battery Terminal Wires

Micky-Disco

My battery has not liked this cold weather and wont start in the mornings, so I guess its on its way out.

I've got a new battery that I would like to use, but the terminals are the wonrg way round, so I need my terminal wires to reach over the battery to the other side. Can anything be done to give them a little extra reach, or will i have to extend them?? How do I go about doing either of these things??

Cheers

Mick

My battery has not liked this cold weather and wont start in the mornings, so I guess its on its way out.

I've got a new battery that I would like to use, but the terminals are the wonrg way round, so I need my terminal wires to reach over the battery to the other side. Can anything be done to give them a little extra reach, or will i have to extend them?? How do I go about doing either of these things??

Cheers

Mick

I've done exactly this with mine.

I found that if i installed the battery "backwards" so the posts were nearest the front of the car the live terminal just reached the post. The earth i extended using an earth strap i had laying around, which i simply bolted to the original battery clamp and wrapped some tape around it.

Earthstrap was something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BATTERY-EARTH-STRAP-LEAD-18-INCHES-BL620_W0QQitemZ380189452187QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item58850ea79b

If your live wont reach you can get the same thing for the live terminal, but i'd be making VERY sure the joint was secure and well insulated. You dont want it rubbing thru or owt.

Also, be careful when tightening a battery clamp with no battery post in the middle, they can snap as they crush together, its worth putting some washers in the gap between the two legs of the clamp if you do it.

I've done exactly this with mine.

I found that if i installed the battery "backwards" so the posts were nearest the front of the car the live terminal just reached the post. The earth i extended using an earth strap i had laying around, which i simply bolted to the original battery clamp and wrapped some tape around it.

Earthstrap was something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BATTERY-EARTH-STRAP-LEAD-18-INCHES-BL620_W0QQitemZ380189452187QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item58850ea79b

If your live wont reach you can get the same thing for the live terminal, but i'd be making VERY sure the joint was secure and well insulated. You dont want it rubbing thru or owt.

Also, be careful when tightening a battery clamp with no battery post in the middle, they can snap as they crush together, its worth putting some washers in the gap between the two legs of the clamp if you do it.

Good idea, never thought of those, cheers ;)

If you do this may I suggest covering the battery so as to avoid any possibility of the terminals accidentally arcing against the slam panel in a collision. :)

Good tip ;)

i've fitted 2 battery's to both of my discoverys with the wrong terminals and i found that if you re route the cables that they do fit, pull through the bracket for the header tank and go round it instead.

I was hoping for something like this lol, cheers

Just buy the correct battery.... simple....

Yeah, would love to, and I'm sure some people have spare cash for things like a battery, but I dont, especially at this time of year and as mine was given free,

so I wanna use this, hence my post asking how to extend the wires.... :wacko: