Disco Td5 cold starting troubles

plasticbadger

My Disco Td5 (1999) has always been a slow cold starter, but the last week has tipped it through the balance to a non-starter! It cranks for ages, starts to cough and finally on full throttle starts up on 3 or 4 cylinders with loads of smoke. The last couple of days though it's run out of battery power before starting and then started up on jump leads fine - and that was the day after a 70 mile motorway run, so the battery wasn't flat. Once even slightly warms it starts perfectly.

I'm getting a new battery for it today, I put new glow plugs in it last spring, it's been recently cleaned out in the intercooler, inlet etc. and I've checked that the fuse and relay for the glow plugs are working.

Anything I should be checking - i.e. that the glow plugs are actually getting current, or anything else?

Help! I had to drive to work in the ice in a fwd Peugeot, which is not why I own a Landrover!

Morning PB

my thoughts Fueling?

Do TD5s have a lift pump? also did you check the sedimenter after the laneing trip where things got abit wet ;) could be full of ice...

if its any consolation my is 300 doing almost the same thing takes quite a few turns to get it to just catch..

;) Sounds very similar to a problem I had with my 300tdi. Loads of charge in the battery but often slow to turn over especially in the cold weather. I read somewhere on this forum about poor earths so for a few pounds I added an extra earth lead to the engine block from the battery and hey presto , it spins over a treat even in the recent cold snap. No idea whether TD5's have the same problem but might be worth a try.

Jules

Freezing EGR valve is one poss. Take it for a run, and when it's all working properly pull the multiplug off the modulator unit and see if it happens again. There was a tech bulletin about it on early Td5s

The EGR has been removed, so unlikely I'm afraid.

;) Sounds very similar to a problem I had with my 300tdi. Loads of charge in the battery but often slow to turn over especially in the cold weather. I read somewhere on this forum about poor earths so for a few pounds I added an extra earth lead to the engine block from the battery and hey presto , it spins over a treat even in the recent cold snap. No idea whether TD5's have the same problem but might be worth a try.

Jules

Low cold cranking amps, or not enough to run the electronics while cranking were my thoughts, so it's getting a new high CCA battery today. I'll check the quality of the earths while I'm replacing it.

poss injector seals????

How do I check, or what other symptoms can I look for???

The EGR has been removed, so unlikely I'm afraid.

Low cold cranking amps, or not enough to run the electronics while cranking were my thoughts, so it's getting a new high CCA battery today. I'll check the quality of the earths while I'm replacing it.

How do I check, or what other symptoms can I look for???

I would check the battery, to make sure it's holding a charge. Do a drop test.

Then check that the battery is being charged properly.

Jules

Excellent advice. In my opinion the TD5 is even more sensitive than the Tdi to poor earthing. Amongst the many side effects of poor engine block earthing is radiator corrosion - every time the car is started some of the starter current can find its way to earth via radiator coolant and radiator itself - leading to radiator corrosion damage.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so far I've replaced the battery (it was dead) which now means I can start it, but it still cranks for ages and smokes like a pig on start up (therefore must be getting fuel).

I've checked that the glow plugs are actually working.

I've checked the security of the engine earth, but it could be a problem as the rad has rusted out. How do I check? As above with a jump lead? Or is there any other way, eg. resistance check?

• 9 months later...

So from the post above the weather started to get warmer and I started using the Peugeot more on the cold mornings and the issue kinda didn't matter any more.

We had our first frost this morning and the Discovery struggled to start (I see I'm not the only one on here having problems today!).

So to re-cap the symptoms are the engine turns over fast to start with, then starts to cough, then starts and runs rough with loads of smoke. After a couple seconds it runs fine.

I've checked glow plugs, battery, security of engine earth, replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel pump is running.

Any ideas what to try next?

Most likely voltage spikes from the starter upsetting the signal from the crank sensor.Try removing the battery cable from the starter and replacing it with a jump lead from the battery direct to the starter.if it fires straight up you have your cause.Or just bump start it if its a manual box - if it fires up straight away its the same thing.

Hi Dave, nice to see you here. I haven't been around much, though it is pleasant (?) to see that the problems people have haven't changed at all!

You are right, a disconnected earth can destroy your radiator in a couple of days. It acts like a giant battery, so it seems. We had one on a Disco and the owner was most upset because it had just been 'reconditioned' at some expense.