£1.49 thats all

nathan

I've read a lot of posts on this forum and others about the backlights on Disco time clocks failing, and people ending up with burnt fingers as they try to solder new bulbs into the holder. When my bulb failed I just resigned myself to having a poor display on the clock until i could buy a new clock off Ebay or similsr.

Today I went into my local parts shop and saw they had the bulbs in their holders exactly the same spec as in the Disco clock for only £1.49 each so I bought one and now my clock is clearly visible.

If any members want one for their Disco i'll happily get them one and post it for £2 inc.

Nathan.

Interesting

No idea why people mess around with soldering bulbs in, you can buy the correct bulb as a Genuine Part for a few quid, the number is BAU5311L.

There is apparently a Halfords one available as well, Halfords 509T: Exterior/Interior Bulb 12V/1.2W. Price £1.59

See this post in LRA tech archive

I'm new to Landrovers Les and have read the archives on as many sites as I can, I am only making an offer to help thise with the same problem as mine. Thought that was one of the reasons for joining a forum.

My clock back light cost 50 quid to replace.

It cost 1.50 for the bulb from halfords that works a treat and just clips in...

...however it cost me £45+ to get a new drinks holder tray as I broke some teeth off the soft open close cog by accident trying to remove it to get the blasted clock unit out! :angry:

Funny that a clock thread should turn up at a time like this. My father-in-law has just taken ownership of a 300tdi Disco and quite a few of the segments in the numbers aren't working (even the though the bulb is).

Would that be a new clock required then? Anyone got a part number or price?

Maybe I'll post about something that's not trim-related next!!

There's usually a fair supply of disco clocks on 'the-auction-site-that-shall-not-be-named'. I'd just add the tip about getting the clock out - don't bother with the manual description (it has you removing half the trim)..... just get an old credit card (or similar) and push it in the top edge of the clock to release the clips, then extract the clock (you might have to do the bottom clips as well). It takes literally seconds.

I learned the trick on here ages ago, and it works a treat!

Dunk

I should think so, though apart from the bulbs the clocks are usually pretty reliable. Visit a breakers yard maybe? I don't have it handy but I have a feeling the clocks are stupidly expensive...

I use 2 bits of thin metal (galv steel in my case) about half the thickness of a credit card and measuring about 2.5 inches x 6 inches. Slide one in above and one in below and it comes out immediately. First time I took one out it took me an hour and a half, after devising the above method now about 5 seconds!!

I'm new to Landrovers Les and have read the archives on as many sites as I can, I am only making an offer to help thise with the same problem as mine. Thought that was one of the reasons for joining a forum.

NAthan, I'll join Les in the where?

Les wasn't knocking you, he was aking you where so he could hae a look because he probably has the same problem.

Did you take any photos ?