90 storage boxes

gaz489

im wanting to fit storage on the sides in the back of my 90 just for straps, strops shackles etc etc

has anyone else got any suggestions ideas or such like on a good make or model or is it as good to make your own?

if anyone has made some hints and tips would be appreciated as im on a tight budget at the minute

cheers gaz

Old ammunition tin's that i have got from anchor surplus do the job very well and at about £6.00 each are cheap enough to replace if you manage to squash them, I can't remember the dimensions of the box i use but they're 81mm mortar bomb boxes-when i fit mine onto the sides in my hard top i also use tie down rings with ratchet straps to stop them moving about-I can get my 8M kinetic rope with two tree strops plus a few shackles and a snatch block in one of them and some tools in the other

ahhhh the amount of ammo boxes and that iv looked at and i never thought to use them.

good idea.

is there anyone with any wooden suggestions or anything of that kind of material to compare?

oh and thanks for the quick reply i will now be searching for ammo boxes

Hi,

If you want to go crazy mad and no expense spared the stuff from mobile storage systems is good, but......expensive.

Neil.

(I recently bought one of their cubby boxes from the LRO show at Peterborough and although I spent ages dithering due to the cost, Im well pleased. The quality is excellent......just an opinion)

"If you want to go crazy mad and no expense spared the stuff from mobile storage systems is good, but......expensive."

I have admired their kit for may years now and am about to order a set for my 90 but I can't make up my mind whether to go for a short drawer & storage box or a full-length drawer. Obviously there are advantages & disadvantages with both set-ups on top of the cost. Ahh decisions decisions.......

Litch

I have the MSS drawer in my Defender 110 SW

I started with the standard drawer and the storage box behind the drawer. The box at the front of the car.

I found that although I tried to put stuff in the box that wouldn't be needed quickly, I still found that I wasn't using the box as much as I should have been so I changed for the TD% long line drawer. Much better IMO. I keep all the wheel changing stuff in the drawer. Along with most of the stuff needed for a brew including the Trangia cooker. I also carry the two small camera bags with the camera bodies and short lenses as well as the 300 2.8 telephoto lens.

I can get at all those without having to unpack the car.

Taking the tent and nine Wolff boxes out to get at stuff is not fun.....

"If you want to go crazy mad and no expense spared the stuff from mobile storage systems is good, but......expensive."

I have admired their kit for may years now and am about to order a set for my 90 but I can't make up my mind whether to go for a short drawer & storage box or a full-length drawer. Obviously there are advantages & disadvantages with both set-ups on top of the cost. Ahh decisions decisions.......

Go for the storage box AND the LONG line draw (yes, it does fit), best of both worlds.

post-13771-126212022169_thumb.jpg

Go for the storage box AND the LONG line draw (yes, it does fit), best of both worlds.

That's what I want to add to mine - I have one of those galvanised units (powder coated the same grey as MSS use) on each side behind my second row seats (109 hard top) and plan to fit the MSS long drawer or standard drawer and 300mm locker behind the seats. As lock has it, I could also fit one of their short wheel arch 300mm deep lockers between my seats perfectly, but I doubt that I will. The trouble with MSS is their cost.

That's what I want to add to mine - I have one of those galvanised units (powder coated the same grey as MSS use) on each side behind my second row seats (109 hard top) and plan to fit the MSS long drawer or standard drawer and 300mm locker behind the seats. As lock has it, I could also fit one of their short wheel arch 300mm deep lockers between my seats perfectly, but I doubt that I will. The trouble with MSS is their cost.

The advantage of MSS is quality of units and long working life of the draw system. After 7 years and lots of use mine will benefit from some vaseline on catch to make it work slightly smoother.

Brendan

Does anyone know if someone has tried getting two built like the above but on either side the box would be halved and the front half of the two would be used as fuel tanks :ph34r:

I mocked up some sketches on google sketchup a while back. Anyone got any views on this ? :huh:

Does anyone know if someone has tried getting two built like the above but on either side the box would be halved and the front half of the two would be used as fuel tanks :ph34r:

I mocked up some sketches on google sketchup a while back. Anyone got any views on this ? :huh:

I wouldn't recommend it - any leaks, even small, would not only make a mess but also be a severe fumes and fire risk. It'd be illegal in most of Europe because most of those countries prohibit internal carriage of fuel (Switzerland and Italy even prohibit the use of external roof mounted fuel cans).

If you're looking at the idea of making your own, look up sheet metal fabricators in the yellow pages etc, they will be able to knock you something up for little money, especially compared to MSS etc, leaving you with a carcass to finish as you wish. obviously you'll need to provide the design input, and decide how much you want them to do, from folding up the main profile, to punching out hinge fixing holes etc and TIGing the ends on etc.

have a word with Se7enup on the LRUK forum - he made up a batch of these for forum members at £50 a piece (made to your specified length), he may be planning another batch:

Mine is very similar to this. Constructed from 20mm angle and covered with 1mm steel. The long hinge was scavenged from something stainless in the scrap bin :). It bolts to the body cappings and through the wheel arch. Will do some photos tomorrow.

£50 sounds a bargain for a plug n play job.