Range Rover Axles?

v8bertha

Are those pro-comp shocks? If so then they're upside down and wont work properly!

The 20mm lost ground clearance is one reason I discounted this conversion. You also need to re-position the shocks as if they're mounted the right way up IIRC they then foul the steering rod.

Jon

the shocks are upside down because pro comps are carp, the chrome is rubbish and corrodes in no time, they are upside down to try and prevent further corrosion. they do work, but slightly stiffer.

there is no problem with the track rod as i have actually relocated the shock mounts ( using rear plates on the front where the pins are closer to the axle body.

the track rod issue is completely removed by using mil shackles. because of the 2.8 angle increase. ( once i get around to it)

Plus you have the increased lift with out the prob vibration problems due to the pitch of the diff.

• 5 months later...
Thats why my track bar is at the front, I have no ground or track bar clearence issues.

Rog, do you have a left hand drive swivel housing on the driverside to move your trackrod to the front?

Many people shy away from doing this because it reverses the Ackerman angles which is supposed to cause dodgy handling and tyre scrub, but I have been running reverse ackerman angles for years now, and the steering always feels more positive and in control at all speeds. As for tyre scrub,the tread my simex centipedes are always sharp and square with no scalloping whatsover. I have never had aggressive treaded tyres last so long with normal Ackerman angles. A pretty good indication of whether a steering arrangement gives tyre scrub or not is to make a tight turn in 2wd on a manicured lawn after a bit of rain. Apart from the imprint of the Centipede tread, there is no digging or gathering up of the grass with my vehicle.

Due to the relatively easier access in the UK, to the correct swivel housing I am surprised more people over there haven't tried moving their coiler trackrods to the front.

Bill.

Rog, do you have a left hand drive swivel housing on the driverside to move your trackrod to the front?

hello mr bill,this set up has been discussed elsewhere,but i never managed to picture it.i can see that you gain a place to attach the drivers side end of the track rod,but what happens to the other end?please explain to a simpleton - photos would be good.than

Jericho, the passenger side of the trackrod goes to the left front steering arm where the drag link normaly attaches. A special trackrod must be made with a tapered hole a few inches from the left hand tie rod end, to which the tie rod end of a slightly shortened drag link would fit. Take a look at a leaf sprung LandCruiser or Nissan Patrol, Jeep, Suzuki to see what I mean.

Bill.