winch cables , solinoids /albrights

gsr341

have been looking at the best way to run the power cable, and earth return to batt, and the controll wires on my d90 , most people seam to run them on the drivers side , with the solinoids /albrights mounted under the drivers side wing , with the switches on the drivers side of the grill , is there any reason for this as the pass side is much less cluttered ?

how do you do yours :P

All my winch power cables are on the passenger side, cables run from batts along chassis to albright sooly [bolted to galvy inner arch & clear of air fliter mounting/casing] then down to winch motor, with the 2 cable remote sockets 1 above each headlight & radio remote box under the left wing top panel.

Mine will be on the drivers side as in my engine bay that side is less cluttered. With controls on dash and maybe a wander lead socket in the engine bay for emergency back up use.

I'm looking at using the extra flexible battery cable like VWP sell, still undecided on 40mm^2 or 60mm^2 cable though :rolleyes:

The reason for mounting the albright on the driver's side is to keep the total length of cable as short as practical to minimise voltage drop.

Remember that the current route is: from battery terminal, to the albright, to the motor field terminal, through field windings, back to albright, to motor armature trminal, through armature windings, then back to battery terminal. So if the albright is located 1m further from the motor, the current has to travel through an extra 3m of cable.

My solenoids are on the drives side, behind the headlight, and the wiring goes across the top of the bulkhead and down under the tunnel to the battery

Under the passengers side wing i've got the washer bottle and heater intake duct so no room in there

I've then got a switch on the drivers side wing top and on the dash

The reason i put the switch on the drivers side wingtop, is so that if i need to get out of the vehilce and use the external switch i don't have to cross over the (possible tought) winch rope !!!

All wiring is 35mm welding earth cable

Guest diesel_jim
The reason for mounting the albright on the driver's side is to keep the total length of cable as short as practical to minimise voltage drop.

Remember that the current route is: from battery terminal, to the albright, to the motor field terminal, through field windings, back to albright, to motor armature trminal, through armature windings, then back to battery terminal. So if the albright is located 1m further from the motor, the current has to travel through an extra 3m of cable.

I don't honestly think that 3m of cable is going to cause too much of a voltage drop, certainly not enough that one would notice any drop in winch performance.

300m, or 3000m maybe, but not 3m

you'd probably get more voltage drop by leaving your heater fan on, or the radio turned up loud. B)

Fitting the operating switch on the drivers side wing allows a right handed operator to switch with the left hand and control the cable with the right hand. Safest that way IMHO.

I have the safest option of all; I rely on other people's winches. :)

Chris

Fitting the operating switch on the drivers side wing allows a right handed operator to switch with the left hand and control the cable with the right hand. Safest that way

never thought of that but makes perfect sence :D

cheers for all your help fellas :)