Lowered bump stops

landrover598

We did a 'temporary' fix by spacing them out with some wood and longer nuts and bolts. Over a year later they're still there, although could do with being made slightly bigger now we've got the bigger tyres on. Plan was to just test out what size we needed and then find some ready made bumpstops the right size, but thats still on the to do list...

Shock1.jpg

Richard

Dave,

it'sa pity fruity isn't online as when he did his 100", he worked out that when his extended springs were compressed fully, they would prevent the axle fom hitting the bump stops anyway- maybe you could try and work out the same thing.

I've always thought that my biggest worry would be the axle extending too far and snapping the shock

Guest diesel_jim

When i built my 90 i tried all sorts of wierd suspension setup's, i was mainly aiming to have the American "rock crawling" type thing, but it drove so bloody aweful on the road i ditched it in favour of OME...

anyway, in my quest for this stuff, i tried the red polyurothane (sp?) bigger bumpstops, they were cr@P! maybe because my spring poundages were out causing the axle to repeately beat the carp out of them, i don't know, but they split and fell apart, leaving a nice metal bump stop! :o

the bit of wood or box section soounds ideal!

When i built my 90 i tried all sorts of wierd suspension setup's, i was mainly aiming to have the American "rock crawling" type thing, but it drove so bloody aweful on the road i ditched it in favour of OME...

anyway, in my quest for this stuff, i tried the red polyurothane (sp?) bigger bumpstops, they were cr@P! maybe because my spring poundages were out causing the axle to repeately beat the carp out of them, i don't know, but they split and fell apart, leaving a nice metal bump stop! :o

the bit of wood or box section soounds ideal!

why not bolt a second bump stop on top of the first one?

I had a quite funky idea about bumpstops the other day which would make it very easy to make any length to order but I won't say too much yet appart from its very simple and, to my knowlege, no one has done it yet. As I'm shelving the trayback ideas for the moment I'm going to be looking at getting significanly more travel without having to do mayor chassis surgery.

What's put you off that Will?

Basically, time. It will be done but I don't want to stretch the vehicle and re-design the suspension at the moment. However, all the work I'm about to start on will be designed to make it as easy as possible to do at a later date. Realistically, I think I'll do it in a couple of years.

I've thought about that too... In the end, I may decide to do a new build on a space frame instead of traybacking just because it means I'll still be with a vehicle throughout the build. Its one of the other ideas that I've been toying with.