Fitting Roof Rails

chrisstevenson

Thinking about fitting roof rails to my Disco, which hasnt got any at the moment and therefore doesnt have any bolt holes or other bits and pieces to secure the bars with. I seem to recall on the old forum something about marks on the roof panel that can be used as a guide for drilling/cutting. Is this correct & how hard a job is this?

Not a whole lot of use to you but I do remember seeing a Discovery in a scrappies with the headlining removed. There is a strengthening crossmember on the underside of the roof that runs from one side to the other. The nut on the captive bolt on the rear of the roof rail was accessible through a round hole in the crossmember. It may be that these holes are drilled on all Discovery's and if so it will provide a location for drilling through the roof panel, for the rear of the roof rail at least. This might mean having to remove the headlining. Ive not done this job so cant comment on how easy it is. The holes may also be standard for the front of the rails but the Disco I was looking at didnt have anything left where the fire brigade had cut it off!!

Cheers

Log

Recently fitted roof rails to my Disco series 1+

As mentioned the rails do not actually bolt to the roof panel - there is a frame with reinforced holes between the roof panel and the headlining - simply loosen headlining (doesn't have to be actually removed and drill a small guide hole from the inside in the middle of the reinforced hole through the roof panel - you only have one chance to get it right but it is not hard. From the outside, with a suitable metal hole saw (measure the required size from the roof rails) drill the correct size holes using the guide holes - go slowly as the heat will blister the paint - test fit the rails - remove - paint around the holes - the roof is steel and will rust - use heaps of silicon sealant - refit rails and tighten - until firm bur not overtighten - as I said the rails actual bolt to the roof framing which take the weight - the room panel carries no actual weight so if you overtighten, the roof panel can be dented.

Go slowly and it is not a hard job.

Garry

Ahh I see, this is becomeing clear now, I think. So the rails fit into holes that are cut in the roof panel, they dont actually sit directly on the roof panel. The prospect of cutting holes now seems slightly daunting.... better have a pint or two first then! Is there a rubber gasket between the end of the rails and the plate they bolt to or the roof?

Ahh I see, this is becomeing clear now, I think. So the rails fit into holes that are cut in the roof panel, they dont actually sit directly on the roof panel. The prospect of cutting holes now seems slightly daunting.... better have a pint or two first then! Is there a rubber gasket between the end of the rails and the plate they bolt to or the roof?

Whatever you do - don't have a pint or two first - a good cup of tea and a think maybe!!

There are cushioning pads on the feet of the rails that sit on the actual roof - they take up any misalignment and the small amount of space between the feet of the rails and the roof panel - as you tighten up the bolts the cushioning pads compress. If they were not fitted there would probably be a 1-2mm gap between the roof and the feet of the rails. Unfortunately as the cushions are some sort of sponge I don't think they as waterproof as they should be so lots of silicon sealant is needed.

While the feet rails sit on the roof the actual weight is carried by the central mounting bolts and flange which bolt to the inner frame inside the roof.

The inner frame has the correct size holes for the bolts already in it so no drilling of the mounting frame inside the roof is needed. From the inside of the car you just drill a very small pilot hole through the roof panel using in the centre of the mounting hole in the inner frame as the guide. You don't have to be spot on -just close.

You then buy a metal hole saw (proper one - not a cheapee) - the size should be a couple of mm bigger than the size of the flange around the mounting bolts on the roof rails - this gives a bit of flexibility in fitting and takes into account if the pilot hole was slightly off centre. From the outside - slowly drill the the required holes, touchup paint, add sealer and fit rails - I did it in about an hour without any instructions using the second hand rails that I bought as a guide. Piece of cake :D

If I can do it anyone can do it especially when they have my superb and exceptionally clear instructions :blink: - I have had mine on for 18 months - no problems - no leaks - they work great.

Once you have your rails and have pulled down your headlineing (be careful with this as it is moulded and can crease) all will become clear!!

Garry

Garry

Any advice on how to gain access to the underside of the roof without damaging the headlining.

Log

Log

Remove the windscreen pillar trim, the top half of the doors sealing rubbers, the trim in the centre pillar where the front seat belt anchorages are, remove any other loose plastic type trim bits around the roof lining.

The actual roof lining does not have to be removed and if you are careful the edges around the doors can be pulled down just enough to get at the holes in the roof reinforcing beams. Extreme care is needed though to prevent the moulded roof lining from creasing - particularly at the rear above the back seat. With care it can be done.

Garry

• 7 years later...

I just fitted roof rails to my Disco 1 1999 model. I saw the roof rails removed at the wreckers where I brought them and the roof lining had holes in the Fiberglas that aligned up with the nuts that hold the rails on.

My Disco did not have those so as I was replacing the sagging roof lining anyway I put the rails on while I had the lining out. It only took 35 mins to get the lining out it is a nightmare to re-install....

I used a centering tool to find the dead centre of the holes on the underside and drilled a 1/8 pilot hole through then holesawed from above as advised here.

without the headlining it took about an hour all up .

I am told some Discos have a hole through the headlining fiberglass backing as standard roof rak or not and you can peel back the headlining to get access to the holes... If the headlining was at all old I don't think it would be a good idea...even new i think it would stretch.

As for headlining recovering ...if you get it out get a professional to recover it for you it is very difficult to get new stuff back on without wrinkles and bubbles.