td5 wont start when transfer box is in high or low

Hi All,

Recently when ive tried to start the TD5 the last few days in the cold it doesnt want to turn over. As soon as I put the transfer box into neutral, it starts immediately.

Has anyone got any thoughts? Ive assumed its just old fluid in the gearbox and transfer box being sticky with the cold!

Thanks in advance :)

Grant

Hi All,

Recently when ive tried to start the TD5 the last few days in the cold it doesnt want to turn over. As soon as I put the transfer box into neutral, it starts immediately.

Has anyone got any thoughts? Ive assumed its just old fluid in the gearbox and transfer box being sticky with the cold!

I always press the clutch to the floor and and don't touch the accelerator when starting my td5. If you do the same could you have clutch problems?

Havent tried it, however it changes gear and pulls away as before :blink: could it still be clutch, no clicking on idle either

I doubt there is any thing wrong then as this is normal starting pocedure on a td5. They will start however without doind this usually but it puts more strain on the starting motor and battery and as you have said with this cold spell the transfer box oil will be thicker thus preventing your engine from firing up.

How often do you change the oil in the gearbox ,transfer box and diffs? I do it once a year but I'm not sure if this is to often or to little.

It is good practice on any manual vehicle to depress the clutch before starting - as said above, it removes load from the starter and consequently battery.

An added bonus is if it has been left in gear you won't get a nasty suprise!

I doubt there is any thing wrong then as this is normal starting pocedure on a td5. They will start however without doind this usually but it puts more strain on the starting motor and battery and as you have said with this cold spell the transfer box oil will be thicker thus preventing your engine from firing up.

How often do you change the oil in the gearbox ,transfer box and diffs? I do it once a year but I'm not sure if this is to often or to little.

Oil changes

Once a year with average mileage say 10,000 tarmac only probably OK

Extreme weather, high temps, low temps, high rainfall and possibly g'box and t'box OK but diffs oil could do with a 6 month change

If you then throw-in off-roading then I would change diffs oil every 3 months, g'box and t'box every 6 months

Dave

Oil changes

Once a year with average mileage say 10,000 tarmac only probably OK

Extreme weather, high temps, low temps, high rainfall and possibly g'box and t'box OK but diffs oil could do with a 6 month change

If you then throw-in off-roading then I would change diffs oil every 3 months, g'box and t'box every 6 months

Dave

Cheers Nas90 was'nt sure but that's a good guide