urgent help please

No idea on price.

I think 406 are newer and heavier than 404? Astro Al or Fridgefreezer would be a good bet, or pop over to HOFS and ask there.

A quick google got this:

Why not Unimog 406 Axles?Unimog 406/U900 axles are definitely stronger and newer than the Unimog model 404 axles we use. However, with those advantages come disadvantages. 406 series axles are far heavier (320kg/700lbs front, 280kg/620lbs rear, stripped) and more expensive. (A 406 axle weighs more than a Rockwell!) In addition, disk-brake 406 axles cannot use a rim size smaller the 20 inches (18 inch rotors) without virtually zero backspacing on the rims. Disk brake calipers have to be manually adjusted, and replacement pads are prohibitively expensive. Finally, it’s more difficult and expensive to remove the torque tube and mate the center section to a regular driveshaft. Still, if you want 406 axles (that are as close to unbreakable as anyone needs) or replacement parts, give us a call, we may be able to help. We've worked on them before and and can set you up with a bombproof design.

hi guys ive been offerd a set of mog 406 axles for silly cheap money i no they will need some moding to fit my defender but trouble is everyone seems to use 404 axles whats the difference and will this make them unfittable to the lr thanks paul also what are the axles worth

Out of interest, how much they going for, i been offerd some 404 for cheepish money,will give you details if interested,

Carl.