GPS and OS mapping hardware advice?

smokinv8

Me and SWMBO both enjoy a spot of greenlaning and whilst I drive she navigates (very well I might add) with an OS map, now Im looking to get more hi-tech and would like a gps/notebook type set up that shows OS maps and what has already been travelled. Any reccomendations for kit appreciated? Links would be good too. :D

Mods, not sure if this is the right section or not so please move if appropriate.

a pc is in my opinion the most flexible solution, you need:

- carpc or tabletpc/portable like panasonic toughbook: carpc runs on 12V and toughbook has adapter for 12v

- touchscreen in case of carpc

- gps mouse, preferable usb so no battery issues

- navigation software like Oziexplorer for offroad and Ndrive for door-to-door

links:

http://www.cartft.com

http://www.mini-box.com/Car-PC-Automotive-Computing-Solutions

http://www.in-carpc.co.uk/

Me and SWMBO both enjoy a spot of greenlaning and whilst I drive she navigates (very well I might add) with an OS map, now Im looking to get more hi-tech and would like a gps/notebook type set up that shows OS maps and what has already been travelled. Any reccomendations for kit appreciated? Links would be good too. :D

Mods, not sure if this is the right section or not so please move if appropriate.

My preferred combination is:

Garmin Trex (Summit in my case) and/or Bluetooth GPS

HP PDA (HX2750 in my case) and/or Laptop

Fugawi Mapping Software (UK Digital Maps and/or Global Navigator)

If I have a passenger then I prefer the Laptop with them doing the actual Navigating from that & I can just watch the Garmin (showing a pre-prepared route).

If I'm on my own I prefer the PDA just showing the OS Maps (either 1:25000 or 1:50000 when off-road, 1:50000 or 1:250000 when on-road), that shows just enough information for your immediate vicinity.

The Bluetooth GPS is useful if you don't want or need the added benefit of the Garmin.

The PDA and Garmin are particularly useful if you want to leave the Landy.

I find the above most flexible and can cope with most situations.

I also have a Smartphone that I can use with the Bluetooth GPS that I can use as a backup in case of any failures.

Colin.

I use Memory Map, on a touch-screen 'netbook' with a Bluetooth GPS receiver. The downside is lots of wires to charge things up! Not a cheap solution, but the screen size makes it worthwhile. I also have a PDA that can run Mem'Map, but the screen is small meaning you tend to lose the 'big picture' to plan ahead. It isn't essential to get a touch-screen device, but using a mouse while on the move it difficult for the driver, if not illegal?! Never heard of a hand-free mouse before :blink:

I am running a dell51a pda with a globstat compact flash Gps, I have oziexplorer ce and Os maps, system also has Tom Tom when directions are need.

I also have a citronix (Mil Std) laptop with touch screen running oziexplorer and Os maps, gps feed is from a garmin 128 into the serial port on the laptop,

both systems are very good and stable

I found OS maps on a PDA too small off road, but TomTom on-road was OK (but Tomtom don't support the PDA option now).

To get a bigger screen I tried a Compaq TC1100, good value off eBay, but fragile. Then I got a Toughbook also off eBay, going fine and appears to be bomb-proof. Both of these talk to a GPS mouse fastened to the underside of the sunroof through Bluetooth.

I use Memory Map for offroad, and PC Navigator on-road. I also have Ozi Explorer but not yet used it in anger.

I use the PC in tablet mode fixed in front of where the stereo was. The stereo is now attached to the front of a MSS cubby box.

Regards

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

£50 - £100 laptop from eBay

SiRF-III GPS mouse from eBay

OziExplorer

Sorted.

I have gone down this route. I am having my old laptop wiped and rebuilt to run minimal programs, and a Sirf III reciever.

But, both memory maps and Oziexplorer seem to cost a few quid ~£60 not wanting tob e a tight arse but that is strong for a bit of software, any other options?

both memory maps and Oziexplorer seem to cost a few quid ~£60 not wanting tob e a tight arse but that is strong for a bit of software, any other options?

Pay more buying paper maps or learn about 'illegal' file sharing. In either case, Google will tell you all you need to know.

Chris

I have gone down this route. I am having my old laptop wiped and rebuilt to run minimal programs, and a Sirf III reciever.

But, both memory maps and Oziexplorer seem to cost a few quid ~£60 not wanting tob e a tight arse but that is strong for a bit of software, any other options?

what about this ...

okmap

looks good but not had the chance to play with it yet...

the bit that drew me to it was the "Conversions" tools handy if in a comp the road book throws a distance on a bearing at you ;)

I found OS maps on a PDA too small off road, but TomTom on-road was OK (but Tomtom don't support the PDA option now).

Ozi ce has a really good zoom (500%) on my system, that brings a lot of detail from the OS maps

K

i have a laptop off ebay (£50) and also have memory map (which i bought new but you can load it up to your computer if you know someone with a copy) and a GPS receiver (£20-£50 worth spending the extra getting a decent one) and last an inverter which was £20. an jobs a good'n you can also get mounts to mount it or you can make it your self then gives you pin point mapping :)

• 3 months later...

New Sat Nav/ OS mapping device from Memory Map.

Some time ago MM aquired the rights to the Road Angel Adventure 7000.

I bought this system but the Sat Nav is pants.

Now that MM own it they brought out a new device for walkers / cyclist called the Adventurer 28000.

Well now they have a new Adventurer S7000, 7 inch touch screen, it is a bit pricey? All in £600 inc vat and software.

Best bit it is aimed at 4x4 drivers vid link. sold via MM or Devon 4x4.

If I had the money :)

Marc.

I was struggling with the right combo of kit. I have Memory Map and I bought a Road Angel Navigator. The interface is awful though. Too much compromise vs the full Windows version. Plus the device would hang regularly.

I took a route similar to what FridgeFreezer suggested.

I already had an in-car inverter and a USB GPS dongle. Just before New Year, PC World were doing a deal on Dell Mini 9s running Win XP. 8.9" screen, tiny keyboard, same footprint as the mini version of Stuff Magazine, for £150! It's got no fan and a solid state HDD, so makes no noise and has no moving parts.

Got it home, uninstalled everything I didn't need, added another 1GB and put MM on that. Works perfectly.

Light enough to velcro to the dash, or a passenger can operate if needed. Much bigger screen than a PDA (or iPhone if you have the MM application), but not too big to have in the car. Plus you get full MM functionality.

Wish I had done that originally.

I run the same setup with a Dellmini 9 I got of ebay for £180 with a 3 year business warrenty which is ideal. What I have done for more space though is to run a 16GB sd card (ebay - £15) and place all the MemoryMaps on there rather than needing to only take some regions and potentially being caught short - also you can store some tunes for the journey/evening as well :)

I use a HP mininote netbook + in car charger + GPS mouse running memory map, I use a cheap navman satnav for roads. The massive advantage of the laptop route is that fact that on long journeys on road my wife can watch films on the computer, which then saves me from excessive whingeing :lol::ph34r: