200 tdi disco into 90, pipes question, help pls

hi there, I have today just dropped a 200tdi into my 90 and most of the pipe length are different... The two oil pipes going to the cooler in the rad need extending by 10 inches.. Some fuel (diesel) pipes need extending because the filter housing is on the bulkhead, air hoses from turbo to intercooler and some of the radiator water pipes need to be longer as well...

Anybody got any suggestions or know anybody in hampshire that'll do the lot instead of me taking a whole day running around?

The rest of the transplant went reasonably well but just struggling as well with the old exhaust downpipe problem and not sure that I really want to spend £145 for the conversion??

Ta in advance,

Dave

Southampton

A few lengths of metal tube, a bit of rubber tubing that fits over the metal pipe, suitably rated, with a few jubilee clips should work at least temporarily. Then obviously there's longer lengths of tube, with tube bending/flaring for the more permanent stage.

I seem to recall there are now downpipes in production or is that what cost £145?

2.5TD pipes are longer and will fit. You will have to swap the threaded stubs on the radiator as well. These unscrew with (30mm?) spanner/socket, but are v-tight.

If you only have the Disco pipes then the likes of Pirtek or any Hydraulic hose supplier would lengthen them for you.

Les. :)

Stainless exhaust pipe have done for my air intake / turbo hoses.

Pirtek type hydraulic place did fuel and oil cooler lines.

A custom exhaust place will do the 1st exhaust bends if your welding won't do.

:unsure:

Cheers guys... Will give Pirtex a call tommorow and go and see them.. I will have a play with the oil pipes as I think the 2.5 19j pipes came off ok...

May just bite the bullet and get a steve parker downpipe as have never welded... :(

The pipes should keep me busy for a few days...

Thanks again...

The tech stuff is great to see the pics... really does help.. :D

:unsure:

Cheers guys... Will give Pirtex a call tommorow and go and see them.. I will have a play with the oil pipes as I think the 2.5 19j pipes came off ok...

May just bite the bullet and get a steve parker downpipe as have never welded... :(

The pipes should keep me busy for a few days...

Thanks again...

The tech stuff is great to see the pics... really does help.. :D

go to local scrappy or scrap metal merchant and you will probally find some metal bridging Tube..i did when i did my Tdi in the 90.. Steve parkers converstions for downpipe..

any tips let me know i did the lot on mine and not so hard when you do it

are you leaving old TD air box in ...it is possible and also header tank can be used from TD and also Viscous Fan can be used if you trim down as it catches on PSP pump otherwise.

also rember the Sender unit on Water will not read right on your TD Temp clock in cab

give me a shout if you think i can help and its not in the tech bit.

int pipes etc shoudl be covered there.

Les covered the oil pipes bit etc.

Timberdog any ideas on sender to use, i now td one doesnt fit, def one i dont htink fits either unless you change sender/thermostate header.

• 3 weeks later...

With regard the oil cooler pipes; take the filter head and pipes from the 19J 2.5TD engine and put on the block of the Disco. This means that the pipes fit and you have got no expense to get them extended. I just did mine this way, worked perfectly.

With regard temperature sender/guage - buy a TIM 034 from Mod World or somewhere similar £30 or less, comes complete with the sender and guage and adaptors.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

i have just fitted a disco type 200tdi to my 90. The filter head will swap from a TD complete with pipe's to rad but I was in a hurry and couldn't find any so I chopped the flexy out of the original disco ones and brazed some hydraulic fittings in then joined em with made to length hydraulic pipe. the intercooler and rad pipe's I just extended with stainless pipe. I used an electric fan. as the original would hit the steering box and was too far back. cant think of owt else that was a problem except exhaust front pipe and bottom 4 bell housing bolts but I guess you have sorted them as there is no mention in your post. Oh and I used the temp sender from the 90 with an adaptor for a 2.5 petrol so it would screw in to the 200tdi them' housing.

With regard temperature sender/guage - buy a TIM 034 from Mod World or somewhere similar £30 or less, comes complete with the sender and guage and adaptors.

Chris

However, the TIM sender is 1/8NPT which comes with 3 adapters, (and for me) none of which fit the Disco engine!! Adapter thread far too course (UNC?)

Oh and I used the temp sender from the 90 with an adaptor for a 2.5 petrol so it would screw in to the 200tdi them' housing.

I haven't seen this adapter - tell us more!!

I have just dug out a 3/8" 24TPI UNF tap (the closest match I had to fit 1/8NPT :blink: ) and I recon I'm gonna try tapping the thermostat top housing.

Keep us posted mate!

Oh and I used the temp sender from the 90 with an adaptor for a 2.5 petrol so it would screw in to the 200tdi them' housing.

I haven't seen this adapter - tell us more!!

Item 19 on this Parts Cat. page

File0055.jpg

hope it helps :D

Edited by western

Ah ha!! Thats the fella I've been looking for!!!!! But, its just tonight Ive just gone and drilled and tapped the orig sender and re-threaded the new sender to fit inside (didnt have the right tap for 1/8NPT). :rolleyes:

All good info though! :D

[homer voice] D'OH :rolleyes: [/homer voice]

shame you didn't pop in here first, but good to know the problem is sorted.

time for the next job then :P

if use a 2.5 petrol or 2.5TD engine mounts then no you dont need to chop the bulkhead as long as you can either buy or fabricate a downpipe to miss the bulkhead

check the thread in Tech arch as suggested above.

SORRY GUYS FOR THE LACK OF POST SINCE POSTING... (19J out, 200tdi disco in)

I ended up using the old 19J mounts bolted to the 200tdi disco engine and it slipped straight in (that was the easy part)

Steve Parker conversion for the downpipe..

Hyperhose extended my old 19J oil cooler piper by 9 inches..

Also bought intercooler pipe and radiator water pipes from them, as well as cutting up the old ones and some 15mm copper pipe to join bits...

Dumped ALL filter boxes and ripped the knackered heater box out... LOOK HERE Put air intake thru hole in bulkhead and K&N on the top so air intake is inside... I was getting naffed off with soggy and oily filters and all the siliconing!!

The temp. guage was a different guage/sender.. When i plumbed it in it was reading 90 odd degrees on tickover and was stone cold.. I ended up getting a capillary temp. jobby as I believe there more acurate and changed the thread into the old sender thread...

As for the radiator mounts I just cut the lot off and drilled some holes and dropped it back in.. Doctored some mounts to hold the top in from the old mounts. (I did see Les's job but cant weld for $HIT!!)

Uuuummm, I think that was about it.. I am well impressed with the 200tdi.. My truck is now really torquey?

and pulls really well... I will try and get a piccy to post on here but at the time I was tempted to go V8 but now am glad I stayed diesel. The conversion takes a lot of patience. I did learn after that I should have pinched the bellhousing thingy off the 19J and put it on the 200tdi as I ended up helicoiling the three bottom bolts out. I think the water and air pipes was the biggest nightmare trying to get all the bends and lengths right,

BUT,

It has been the best project on my truck so far that I have completed. I would reccomend it to any 19J owner as you will love the difference in power, etc...

Thanks to all the guys on here who offered advice and I am here also now to offer any advice to anybody whos thinking about it..

:P Cheers

Dave