TDI on veggie oil

white90

theres someone at work whos been running his Transit on used veg oil for 3 years that i know of.

dosent do anything fancy..... just sivs[sp] it as he pours it straight into the tank.... uses a 50/50 mix.

even in winter it seems ok.

if the fuel prices continue to rise needlessly , i may have to look at doing something.

I believe the military are using aviation fuel (kerosene to you) to run the Land Rovers in Iraq, the Yanks are giving it away free, but I dont know if there have been any problems?

Aviation fuel plus cheap engine oil to lube the pump works well, or so I am told by a contractor who runs his generator on it.

Aviation spec. kerosene costs a lot less than deisel, and its tax free, all the big jets burn 5 or 6 tonnes of it to cross the Atlantic and pay no fuel duty at all. I suppose thats fair?

Geoff

I was looking at buying a v8 RR or disco for commuting (after LPG), however when I started to think about it a disco TDi started to make more sense since I could make my own fuel. It would get a bit more milage and costs could be controlled, the has been a lot of yak about increasing duty on LPG, however most chippies are supposed to be happy to give away the old oil (although again maybe this will change)

For used fat I belive you need to seive and remove water, I was going to do something a bit more involved to make sure that the oil was really clean.

I thought an immersion heater, a simple electric feul pump, a std filter, some simple gauze filters and a hot plate for water evaporation would do the job. That would allow me to produce a tank of veg oil in probably about 24 hours (how big is an immersion heater, about 30 gallons?)

One of the LR E/O/M mags had an article about modifying the feul system, although it wasn't clear if it was to create a 10% veg oil run or mixed.

A temperature controlled valve was fitted just before the feul pump which would switch over to veg oil at the right temp, so you ran on D till warmed and then prewarmed the oil for ease and moved over to that.

They reckoned that you needed to run the engine on D before shutting down to ensure the injectors didn't get oil sat in them.

I wonder if you could put a secondary pump to empty injector pump of oil and reduce this run down time to just a minute of idling when you get where you are going.

Since I have a spare 90 tank sat around and a friend has decided to keep his 110 it looks like we might do a conversion on his as a trial run since it's easy to put a second tank into a 110.

I believe the military are using aviation fuel (kerosene to you) to run the Land Rovers in Iraq, the Yanks are giving it away free, but I dont know if there have been any problems?

Aviation fuel plus cheap engine oil to lube the pump works well, or so I am told by a contractor who runs his generator on it.

Aviation spec. kerosene costs a lot less than deisel, and its tax free, all the big jets burn 5 or 6 tonnes of it to cross the Atlantic and pay no fuel duty at all. I suppose thats fair?

Geoff

My grand dad used to run on it during WW2, it let little puffs of white smoke but no permanent trouble (it was illegal then)

i used to run my old 110 300TDi on upto a 30% mix of veggie oil, (on private land obviously) ;)

i did it for the last 3 years with no ill effects, the emissions test was significantly lower on the first test after i started doing it aswell...

if you stick to under a 30% mix you'll be fine, don't do it when its realy cold (as it makes the oil a bit thick) and always chuck in a healthy dose of fuel additive... :)

i couldn't detect any loss of performance, the only difference is the exhaust can smell a bit, oh, and my wallet liked it as veggie oil can be found for as little as 40p per litre... ;)

if you a going to go legit, the duty is huge (47p i think) as the government class it as a fuel replacement and tax/ rob you accordingly :angry:

theres loads of stuff on the interweb, the veggievan website is realy good.....

there is a lot of bo**ocks talked about this subject, i'm no expert, but i know what worked for me.... B)

So I won't get any sympathy by moaning about diesel having gone up to 41p a litre here then :ph34r:

Yet the cost of freight to the Falklands must be hugely more expensive than into a deep harbour port in Europe?

I cannot get my head around the papers and TV, bemoaning the Iran situation on the price of fuel, which is a load of bo**ocks since the fuel we use today was price fixed with the aaaaaaaaarabs probably 2 years ago! The spot market price also only manages to supply us with about 5% of consumption.

Think I need a stout wall to bash my head.

Oi! Tony, V8's hardly ever go puddle cough splutter, well not the NAS anyway.

Iraq and Afghan Wolfs are running on Kersone although we add an additivie to the kero to prolong FIP life. (well we are meant to be adding it but i am still waiting for the paperwork to be revised before the insturction is distributed!!)

this has come about as quite alot of FIP have packed up in Iraq, hence the need for additive. cant remember what its called but its 1L to 1000L fuel.

ooo is that a puddle cough splutter uuurrrggghhh! :P

Not any more :D

So I won't get any sympathy by moaning about diesel having gone up to 41p a litre here then :ph34r:

Just before my Dad was out there (about nine years ago) they had riots in Venezuela when the petrol price doubled to 8p/l. That was sickening even then...

One of our club members has run his 2.5D 90 on it, which then became a 200TDi, and he's now running around in a 300TDi Disco smelling of chips. I've got no idea of the details but it involves a boat fuel tank tucked away, a heat exchanger and a switchover valve. Oil can be had for nowt if you get friendly with the local chip shop.

There are kits available online that do it all automatically but they're silly money for what is basically a thermoswitch and a couple of solenoid valves.

I'll dig out some more info if anyone's interested, he wrote an article for the newsletter a while back.

I am going to try a 25% (or so) mix of cheap veggie oil this week. I will add 5l tomorrow and, subject to results, a further 5l when I have made space. Tank was full about a gallon ago so I will need to add it in stages. I will let you know how I get on with it.

Chris

Its a bit more complicated than just heating vegatable oil and washing it,

To get good quality fuel from use veg oil you add a few chemical most aren’t that hard to find but concentrated sulphuric acid you aren’t going to find in you local supper market but there are internet suppliers that sell it.

Any way have a read

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html

i have been seriously thinking about producing my own bio-diesel, just in the process of getting all the bits.

Tom

I am going to try a 25% (or so) mix of cheap veggie oil this week. I will add 5l tomorrow and, subject to results, a further 5l when I have made space. Tank was full about a gallon ago so I will need to add it in stages. I will let you know how I get on with it.

Chris

you'll be fine with that Chris, just don't go to mad with the mix if its realy cold... :)

Not any more :D

Just before my Dad was out there (about nine years ago) they had riots in Venezuela when the petrol price doubled to 8p/l. That was sickening even then...

as of 2004, venezuelan fule cast $0.023 (yes less than 3 cents) a litre and was actually sold at a loss to the public.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3693237.stm

not sure of the situation now though.

I do 80 miles a day in my Td5

does anyone know if it will be ok on a say 50% mix

and all I need to do is remove any water and filter the oil well befor use.

Is this correct?

How do you do the Tax bit is there a web site.