Disco2 Locked Radio

Naks

Hi all

Friend of mine has a 2003 facelift Disco 2 with a factory fitted RADIO / CD Player. "Somebody" tried to get the radio going by inserting a invalid code resulting in the radio now being "locked". The LR dealer advised that the radio is now u/s and need to be repaced with a new unit at a cost of R6k.

I have kept it on for 8 hours continuously. I have disconnected the battery and also waited for a couple of day's, but to no avail.

According to the LR agent, the code was tried once too many and this resulted in the radio being locked "permanently" - is this true?

Can this radio not be reset at all?

Post a picture of the radio that is fitted so we can see what type. And also what (if anything) it says on the display. Does he have the right code?

I don't know of any factory radio that locks down permanently, they usually have an increasing delay with wrong code entry i.e. 2 min then 4 then 8 then 16 then 32 etc etc and you rapidly get bored of trying to crack it :)

I can get at most of the radio handbooks I think so if you can post up a pic of the radio type then I will see what I can do.

Hi all

Friend of mine has a 2003 facelift Disco 2 with a factory fitted RADIO / CD Player. "Somebody" tried to get the radio going by inserting a invalid code resulting in the radio now being "locked". The LR dealer advised that the radio is now u/s and need to be repaced with a new unit at a cost of R6k.

I have kept it on for 8 hours continuously. I have disconnected the battery and also waited for a couple of day's, but to no avail.

According to the LR agent, the code was tried once too many and this resulted in the radio being locked "permanently" - is this true?

Can this radio not be reset at all?

Sadly it is, I remember when I picked up my disco from the dealer I was told about keeping the code in a safe place and to enter it correctly as too many attempts will lock it permantly and it has to be binned, landrover programmed it to do this as the unit thinks that it has been stolen due to the amount of wrong codes entered and then is shut down! Not even landrover can sort it even if you gave them a bar of solid gold. Someone had a year old disco and blocked out their harmon kardon and they had to order a replacement a costly mistake

Not according to the RAVE manuals - according to that the three different sorts of radio all have variations on the time delay system, two use the "double time each wrong entry" method and one lets you have three goes and then imposes a 60 min delay.

Not according to the RAVE manuals - according to that the three different sorts of radio all have variations on the time delay system, two use the "double time each wrong entry" method and one lets you have three goes and then imposes a 60 min delay.

I've never heard of that before, I never knew they did a rave edition for the facelift disco. The dealer did emphaise not to loose the code

when I got my disco 2

RAVE doesn't cover the facelift editions but I think the ones I have seen all had the same ICE as the older models...? Maybe not, in which case I have learned something new which is always handy :)

Anyway we are still waiting for a picture of the radio that is fitted ;)

Most likely it has a Visteon CD radio, it looks like this, on the display it says LOCKED, which means a wrong code has been keyed 13 times in a row => the cd radio is f...d.

From the ICE manual, page 7, Security Code, 3rd paragraph (also available online at ownerinfo.landrover.com):

NOTE: VISTEON UNIT ONLY - After 12 unsuccessful attempts to enter a code, the unit becomes inoperable and CANNOT be repaired (even by the manufacturer). In cases where the code number has been forgotten or mislayed (as opposed to wrongly entered), owners are strongly advised to contact a Land Rover Dealer / Approved Repairer for assistance, rather than risking irreparable damage to the audio unit.

Most likely it has a Visteon CD radio, it looks like this, on the display it says LOCKED, which means a wrong code has been keyed 13 times in a row => the cd radio is f...d.

Still waiting for my friend to send me a pic.

However, my radio looks like it's a Visteon, and the former owner of my Disco had this to say about the issue:

"I had exactly the same (problem) and the above procedure (Turn the ignition to the on position and switch the radio on. Then leave it for around 45 minutes and it should reset and ask for the pin again) worked for me. Radio said "locked" or something and after about 45 minutes with the ignition on the "ON" position and radio switched on (showing that "locked" message), it reset."

So this is getting very confusing now. According to the RAVE manual, the Visteon cannot be unlocked once it's locked itself. But the previous owner did exactly that!?

• 10 years later...

Hi, my previous defender owner didn't have my radio code so a year after purchase when the battery was disconnected I too was left with a locked radio.

i discovered that after holding down the button 6 for a minute or two, the screen change back from locked to code.

I then entered the radio's 7 digit serial number starting with M into the website www.radio-code.co.uk under the Visteon page. After paying £4.99 with PayPal I got my radio code so all good now 😀

• 2 years later...

"Security code function
A combination of buttons on the radio cassette are used to input and change security codes. Security codes make the
unit unusable if the unit is disconnected from the vehicle without deactivating the security code. The radio cassette
has an internal memory chip that stores the information, if the power is removed from the unit the chip will activate the
security code feature. For this reason the security code feature must be deactivated before the unit is removed or the
vehicles battery is disconnected."

How do you deactivate the unit?