Freelander 2004 TD4 Clutch Sticking

djbrookes

Hi,

I have a problem which seems to be getting worse with my 2004 TD4 Freelander. Basically the clutch keeps sticking to the floor when I depress the clutch to set off or if I am reversing using the clutch.

This started approximately 3 weeks ago but does seem to be getting worse. I have contacted my local stealer, sorry *Dealer* and they only reply was that they would have to have it in and it would cost approximately £200-£250 to check the clutch system (JUST TO LOOK AT IT). So I'm sure you can understand why I don't want to just give it to them.

Basically whenever I put pressure on the clutch pedal it seems to drop to the floor and requires use of my foot to lift if back to normal height.

Any ideas what this could be? If you need more info please let me know :-)

Thanks

Josh

Sounds like your master cylinder is about fooked....you can change it with the pipework quite easy but they are not cheap.

It needs looking at before you spend hard earned cash as there could be a problem with the clutch but my first choice would be the master cylinder on its way out.

It might be worth bleeding the clutch, the last few i've had with clutch pedal problems have worked fine after bleeding the system. Bit fiddly but not too bad to do yourself with a second person. I've noticed when bleeding them that there seems to be moisture in the fluid which obviously affects the pedal feel.

If theres a load of air in the fluid when your bleeding it the master may be dead as k88 mud says, they are fairly common to leak from the master and slave cylinder so have a quick look underneath around the bell housing area and also inside around the pedal for any fluid leak.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a problem which seems to be getting worse with my 2004 TD4 Freelander. Basically the clutch keeps sticking to the floor when I depress the clutch to set off or if I am reversing using the clutch.

This started approximately 3 weeks ago but does seem to be getting worse. I have contacted my local stealer, sorry *Dealer* and they only reply was that they would have to have it in and it would cost approximately £200-£250 to check the clutch system (JUST TO LOOK AT IT). So I'm sure you can understand why I don't want to just give it to them.

Basically whenever I put pressure on the clutch pedal it seems to drop to the floor and requires use of my foot to lift if back to normal height.

Any ideas what this could be? If you need more info please let me know :-)

Thanks

Josh

Whats the mileage on it???