Dashtop removal to replace washer jet.

Whilst being over enthusiastic in clearing show from my defender using a brush, I snapped my washer jet assembly off.

MOT time is here, and I know I need it if I'm going to pass. It looks like I'll have to get the dashtop off in order to get at it all. I've got the screws out of the top of the dashtop, the vent covers are off and it's free at each end, but it won't come off / out.

Am I missing something obvious?

youve probly done the usaul, if its properly snapped off then dash off, if its sort of cleanly snapped off but leaving a staggerd edge, you can buy a new jet, warm it up, and split it in 2 as they are joined. just click it back on to ur old jet. ive done loads and have to do mine 2 moro as i put the washers on by mistake in the ice and bew the end off it

youve probly done the usaul, if its properly snapped off then dash off, if its sort of cleanly snapped off but leaving a staggerd edge, you can buy a new jet, warm it up, and split it in 2 as they are joined. just click it back on to ur old jet. ive done loads and have to do mine 2 moro as i put the washers on by mistake in the ice and bew the end off it

I'll second this - done loads of them.

Unless you really have to, I wouldn't bother. I did exactly the same as you and replaced the whole lot with wiper blades with built in jets.

There are two grommeted holes near each wiper arm, I cut the pipe feeding the existing jet off under the ash tray, installed a T-piece to split the water feed into two. The new pipers come out from behind the dash through the grommetted holes. It all looks very neat and tidy.

I hear Peugeot 405 blades are good, however, I found some on fleabay that worked well.

Additonal benefit is the water is now sprayed on the glass that is wiped by the wiper blades, it was always a bit hit an miss before.

Nick

Gaz, thanks for that gem of info... prob saved me plenty of swearing/time/reorder.... Mac

• 8 years later...
On 14/01/2010 at 10:44 PM, gaz0203 said:

Hi Guys am new here and looking for some advice on fixing this exact same issue with my 08 Defender 110.

How did you warm up the jet and split it ?

I've ordered a Jet but don’t need the whole thing as I’ve still got the pipe sticking out the front under the windscreen.

Am really hoping I can just push the end of the new jet on and avoid pulling the dash but I can’t get it apart !

Thanks

Jez