rear x member

flocks

hi all

the landy needs a new x cross member and i am planning on making my own but was wondering what wall thinkness it should be.

i spoke to a steel stock holder today and the thinnest they have in stock is 5mm wall, this seems a bit thick and heavy to me, it weighs something like 25kgs for the length required.

any help would be great

many thanks

flocks

I used a folded peice of 5mm steel (folded into a C shape). Carefully cut away the old member leaving all of the chassis rails in place. Reparired them where needed and cut slots into them that the botom of the folded steel slid into. I then added 3mm extensions as required that i could weld to the chassis rails. All seems to have worked quite well really. The C section is open at the back so there are no mud traps but it is strengthened into an open (ish) box where the tow bar joins on for added strength there.

There are lots of very good threads in here and the tech archive on this. Do a search and trawl through the irrelevant results to find the good ones - it is worth it for this.

I used 75x75 box section with a 3mm wall. Welded two lengths together to make a 150x75 and

cut an angle each end to match the original profile. Capped the open areas with 3mm plate

so like Lukes it is also fully sealed.

Not too heavy either.

I made a copy of the original x member by having a c section bend up in 2mm plate, and fully boxed it in and fully welded all the joints. As it's not supporting a winch i didn't see any point in over engineering it (a first :rolleyes: ) and only cost £25 for the folded section of steel, boxed in with offcuts i had :)

post-7-126367100237_thumb.jpg