So how was your Day....

neildon

So its Sunday, that means some spare time to get that job done youve been putting off

What did you get done??

I managed to get my rear springs on.....much easier job than i suspected....and upgrade my washers to a twin jet affair so now ive got 2 squirts each side.....much better.

looks like ive had it easy today then......

next week its adjusting the steering lock stops and improving the rear axle breather, fitting the steering guard and rock sliders (if they arrive in time)....easy stuff again

That's a bit of a pain Ralph, hope you get it sorted!

I've been wrestling with large numbers of rusted out bolts getting the body off the Series III:

post-10578-12637532683_thumb.jpg

All I can suggest is a wire brush and rost off ice - it`s one of the new freezing agents that seem to really free off seized nuts and bolts , we use it in work when we`re struggling and heat can`t be used. halfords sell their own version as well. Seems to work better than wd40 etc.

anyway spent most of my day repairing chassis loom for my 90 , tempted to buy autosparks one !!!

Mine was not so good. Lifted the car to have a look at my planned rear winch build. First I had to check the front hub drive member bolt that had come loose though.

It was, and is, no 10 min. job. All five of them had snapped about a cm into the hub. Tried drilling them out with no luck. Had to strip the whole unit so I can take it to a friend tomorrow.

It was, and is, no 10 min. job. Since i have the newer type of hub nut I had to rebuild my hub nut tool (The cheap kind). Strengthening the sides, cutting it and welding a plate to the end where a socket was welded. Still no luck until I got the impact wrench out. Sorted now and the hub is down and waiting for a better drill.

Still, I LOVE my Land Rover.

Downpipe rusted through, so removed. Couldn't get one of the downpipe bolts out, so removed manifold(7 more nuts).

Apart, from the small cut on the head (no hair, so no early warning)

Just got to get the other piece of pipe off the cat.

Means the eurobox is out of action, so using the 110 for work.

(Some LR content, but not a lot!) :blink:

After sorting out the net over the fishpond that had collapsed due to the weight of the snow and then froze solid into the ice and cutting some logs I eventually got around to takeing my rear mudflaps off and trial fitted my new rear quarter bumpers :D

While I was at it I noticed the wires that run across the inside back of the chassis had come loose so tidied them up and finally took the rear step off that got bent towing a mate in the snow - must get a proper towing eye!

That's a bit of a pain Ralph, hope you get it sorted!

I've been wrestling with large numbers of rusted out bolts getting the body off the Series III:

post-10578-12637532683_thumb.jpg

I bought a set of these Snap on Tools extractors and they are superb. Click onto a 3/8 rachet and they make short work of rusted bolts: either snapping them off so you can drill the thread out or getting a grip on the rusted and rounded remains

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=77401&group_ID=16597&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Mine were on offer ~£50-ish

I bought a set of these Snap on Tools extractors and they are superb. Click onto a 3/8 rachet and they make short work of rusted bolts: either snapping them off so you can drill the thread out or getting a grip on the rusted and rounded remains

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=77401&group_ID=16597&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

seconded! absolutely superb tool, never failed for me

It's not often I work on my Defender between services.....I know last week I fitted new washer jets to the bonnet, a good improvement.

Today

I've tiled a wall in the bathroom. I've the other three walls to do during the week, including removing some old tiles.

Nothing planned bar fluids check/topping up etc on the household 'fleet'. But on way out to pub lunch in the disco, went to pull away at a busy roundabout, and a second later there was a massive clunk, and no power. Rolled to a stop, had a look etc. Nothing obvious. She would start but revs were 'hunting' all over the place, and would just stall if given any throttle. Phoned AA, and then the old man rang, and said he would pop along with a tow rope. 10 mins later hooked up, 2 mins after that back on the driveway. 5 seconds after popping the bonnet saw the air inlet pipe had come off. 2 mins refitting it and tightening jubille clip and shes fine again. Cancelled the AA, and off to pub take 2.

Relieved it was that simple..... :D I love Sundays......

got a set at work, but the aren't any good for one of the busted bolts & the other in the block has a broken drill in it too.

spent most of my day cutting up my range rover. got all rear body off. have cut front floors but not pulled them out yet. so its left as near enough rolling chassis (well, compared to a full vehicle) nicest surprise of the day was draining 3 jerry can fulls of diesel out of its fuel tank :)

Me Dad had bought an old Series 3 88", saturday.

And although much time and money was spend on extra's (X-eng brake, turner head, weber intake kit etc etc) It was a right mess. NOTHING electrical worked, and when you cranked the engine on the key it wouldn't start until you let the key go where the inertia of the flywheel would barely kick it to life (wouldn't have done that with a diesel!)

So all of sunday was spend fixing the mess the previous owner had left. Got most sorted and now just waiting to get a new alternator and a new switch for hi/lo beam.

Also had a go at starting it on the starter handle, surprisingly easy and a funny experience ;)

post-9137-12637984648_thumb.jpg

post-9137-126379849783_thumb.jpg

post-9137-126379853583_thumb.jpg

Spent all day undserneith the Camel Freelander... The gearbox went pop a few weeks ago and so far I have only got as far as getting it up on axle stands and taking the wheels off, so with the sun out I actually started work.

Wish I'd had some of them stud extractor things as I has one bolt that had been rounded off by a previous monkey. Tried all sorts and in the end resorted to welding a big old nut onto the twisted remains of the bolt head. Just waiting for new clutch and other bits and bobs to arrive, then I can stick it all back together and return to the world of cheap(ish) motoring!