what drill bit to use

western

took around 5 hours of cutter use & quite a few blows with various punches/hammer to get the easyout to break up, but the cutter did a great job. I've got nice new bolts to refit the timing case & various other bits & some jointing compound to help keep the alloy/stel corrosion down & a new timing belt, as it's due in 4000miles so might as well change it while I've got the chance & a set of proper timing tools at last.

Excellent Ralph,

Always satisfying to finish a bad job yourself :) , I hope you greased those 3 long bolts ;)

I've just had a long block bolt shear doing a WP on a 300 , luckily it twisted off with 10mm sticking out of the block, it still took 2 attempts welding a M12 nut on to shift it, the 2nd attempt I gave it a few sharp taps LR tool No1 while still red hot, it was a relief when it undone.

Cheers

Steveb

all the bolts that pass through or into the alloy timing case/water pump have been given a nice coat of jointing compound as used on aircraft, so hopefully that will help prevent any corrosion between the steel bolts & alloy case.

been out on a test drive, forgot how big my 110 is, haven't driven it for nearly 2 weeks.

<voice over> It was early evening on the 18th January when the dread news broke, and so did Ralph's cunning tool. Within moments the LR4x4 community sprang into action and the engines on the Chinook were warming up to airlift vital parts to Cornwall... </voice over>

Cor Ralph, you've had us on the edge of our seats! Glad you're back intimidating the mortals ..

• 2 weeks later...

<voice over> It was early evening on the 18th January when the dread news broke, and so did Ralph's cunning tool. Within moments the LR4x4 community sprang into action and the engines on the Chinook were warming up to airlift vital parts to Cornwall... </voice over>

Cor Ralph, you've had us on the edge of our seats! Glad you're back intimidating the mortals ..

:lol: glad you enjoyed the suspense, running beautifully now.

Just seen this thread. Pleased you succeeded :)

It's got to be said that I have NEVER used an easy out and it has worked. Like you, they've usually snapped. I had quite a selection, but now have them stored in a not so easy to get at location - to avoid being tempted to use them!

You've proved what method worked to get this out, but my suggestion (as well as a few of the others already mentioned) would've been to heat the easy out with a welding torch, then blast it with compressed air. Alternating these methods to get the metals moving, then progress with the picking at it for hours on end.

Don't you just love jobs like this......not!

Could've been worse though. At least you didn't have to lay on your back under the car to work on it!

would've been to heat the easy out with a welding torch, then blast it with compressed air. Alternating these methods to get the metals moving, then progress with the picking at it for hours on end.

I didn't have that choice to hand, I don't own any welding kit or compressor so couldn't use it, anyway jobs done & 110 is running well.