Discovery 3 - chassis dimensions

Max_torque

Hi all,

My 2010 project, the Discofender (or possibly the Defovery) has started to take some sort of direction, and i could really do with a D3 chassis diagram that shows the major dimensions, for example, those across the rails, or between wishbone hard points etc.

Does anyone know where i can find this info (prefferably for free (obviously ;-) but as a last resort after exchanging some ££ ??)

Discofender sounds better. Unless you want to call it the Defendafairy :P

I don't think you will find this information as unfortunately the sheer weight of a Discovery 3 exerts gravitational forces on any nearby objects which distort the tape measure and give inaccurate readings.

Seriously, sounds like an interesting project :)

What on earth happens when two or more D3 are parked close together then?? does it form a black hole ??? lol!

Persumably by now chassis dims should have found there way into the various trade publications for crash repairs / body shell jigging etc, that might be my best bet ??

So far, i know that a D3 track (tyre centreline to tyre centre line) is about 1610mm (vs 1486 for defender), but i'm really looking to see how a Defender bulkhead would sit across the wider bowed D3 chassis rails etc

Yes, a huge black hole which will suck absolutely any surplus money in that dares to come within 17 miles :lol:

Yes I guess a body repair book would be the best option, never seen anything like that. The wheelbase is also a lot longer than a 110, something like 116.3 inches IIRC (the question came up recently, you may find it with a search)

Yes I guess a body repair book would be the best option, never seen anything like that. The wheelbase is also a lot longer than a 110, something like 116.3 inches IIRC (the question came up recently, you may find it with a search)

I think the "excess" length will be the easy bit to deal with, i would really like a "just over 100 inch" wheel base, maybe 102" to 104", looking at a pic of an L319 chassis, the centre of the rails looks reasonably parallel, so would lend itself to being cut n' shut i think.

The chassis is also "flatter" in side profile than a 110 chassis, as it doesn't have to hop up and over a beam axle between the wheels, so although the spring top platforms look high, i suspect they might just fit under the floor of a std defender rear tub. Probably the biggest issues might be rear crossmember and front inner wings?

Also i suspect, looking at pics, that the torsional stiffness of a D3 bare chassis is nowhere near that of a 110 bare chassis, strengh being given by the D3 monocoque body bolted on top. I plan to use a modified full external cage on the defender body to restore this strength.

If i can get some dimensions, then i could get some of this into CAD for an inital look see........

post-21213-126389259229_thumb.jpg

a chop to 104" looks to produce some reasonable proportions on a 110 SW, although mod'ing the rear doors will be a PITA!!

104_white_2.jpg

Now the hunt is on to find 110 Td5 and D3 donors, each with very careless previous owners, maybe a D3 thats been shiney side down and a 110 thats had a light knock on a front corner etc

• 7 years later...