how to change coolant

briz

Hi, take off the bottom radiator hose, thats the quickest and best way to drain. Make sure the engine is cold, cos scalding hot water on hands and feet is very uncomfortable.

Refill with pre mixed OAT antifreeze (the pretty pink stuff)will take around 10 litres due to residual amounts remaining in the block.

Cheers

Paul

I would use Concentrate antifreeze. That way you can put in 5L of the neat stuff, and then top off with water, to ensure the concentration doesnt get diluted down by the residuals in the block.

Its probably cheaper doing it that way too!

the OAT antifreze is recommended for the TD5 engine as the blue stuff corrodes the internals over time. I know the blue stuff is for pennies compared, but just thought I would point it out.

BTW Halfrauds had OAT on offer recently on a 3 4 2 but can't remember the price.

open up lower screw on radiator hose. right side of vehicle (left side when facing the engine)

open up the plastic bowl screw

open up upper screw on radiator hose

allow to drain

tighten lower screw

screw in upper (finger tight)

top up coolant / antifreeze (depending where in the world you are) at the plastic bowl

keep at it till you see some flowing out from the screw at the upper radiator hose.

let some drain out

tighten the upper screw (securely)

start the engine

top up the coolant at the plastic bowl again until correct level.

Just done this myself

Drained the system and ran two big buckets of water through it before refilling

used this antifreeze

http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/351

Motosave sell it in 5 litres.

it didn't need the full 11 litres spec'd for my 300tdi. Yours should need 11.5 litres according to the web site. I reckon my drain wasn't 100% so i used 4 litres of Antifreeze and just topped up with tap water. The web site doesn't list this stuff for you vehicle but i can see no real reason why it wouldn't be OK its OAT stuff.

Officially approved by:

Mercedes Benz (DBL 7700.30 - 325.3), MAN (324 SNF), Porsche, VW/Audi/Bentley/Lamborghini/Seat/Skoda (TL774-D/F), BMW Mini Cooper Diesel 2007 onwards

- Silicate free, Organic Acid Technology (OAT) for superior engine protection

- Up to 5 years protection

- Protects against corrosion, erosion, over heating & freezing

- Pure ethylene glycol base

- Suitable for petrol & diesel engines

- Safeguarded with bittering agent

- Protects from -36°C to +45°

There should also be a drain plug on the block you can use to properly drain the jacket. At least on the v8 there is a substantial amount in there.

Personally I use PG coolant over OAT/Dexcool as it is non-toxic to animal life.