24 spline diff in 10 spline axle?

stobbie

I have a bent 1998 defender front axle.

I have an old 10 spline 1984 axle lying around.

Can I use the old casing and transfer all internals from the newer axle onto the old one and use that on my 98 defender?

Or are there differences in the axle casing?

The radius arm mounts are different because the later axles have wider radius arm bushes so presumably (I've never actually measured them) the axle bracket spacing is also wider. It could be modified but it wouldn't be a straight swap and if I was messing with stuff holding the axle onto the vehicle I'd want a grownup to do the welding unless there is another solution (changing the radius arms for a 1984ish set would be one way to do it - but then you'd be stuck with the rubbish narrow bushes).

I'm also not sure at what point the panhard rod arrangement changed but I think it was probably in 2002 so you are probably OK with that. The diff should be a straight swap. Not sure about the hubs/brakes etc but if swapping over as a complete set it might be all right - somebody else may know anyway.

Not sure about the hubs/brakes etc but if swapping over as a complete set it might be all right - somebody else may know anyway.

If the axle casings are both 7 bolt then it will be a straight swap. Not sure when then changed from 6 bolt, think it was early 80's.